Chapter 31

Aniyas POV

As I'm sitting on my couch, wine in hand, thinking about Mariah, my phone rings, hoping it would be her. But to my surprise, it was Grace.

"What do you want, Grace?"

"We need to talk."

My eyes widened. She's never done this before. Unless it was something serious.

I sit up a little. "A-about what?"

"I need to talk to you in person. Can we meet up?"

I panic. "It's the middle of the night, Grace. We'll talk tomorrow. Plus I have work in the morning."

"Fine." She says before hanging up.

I was wondering why she was acting so... weird. And so stern. I think I need some sleep.

_______________

Morning came around, and I'm heading out for work. As soon as I get into my classroom, I see her. Finally. I feel like I haven't seen, or kissed her in months.

"H-hi." I say smiling.

"Hey."

I then walk up to her, set my stuff down, then kiss her. I feel my shoulders go down of relief. It felt so good kissing her again. She pulls away, paining me. But I could tell something was wrong.

"What- what's wrong?"

She zoned off for a good minute.

"Mariah?"

"What? Oh, uhm. Nothing, but I uh, I should get going though, I don't wanna miss my class. I'll see you later?" She stutters, hurrying to the door, then walking out.

"Oh o-okay..."

I just stare, into nothing, wondering why she left in such a hurry. I wanted to spend time with her... Whatever I needed to prep for class anyway.

When Mariah came into my room for her class she had with me, she didn't even look at me. And during the whole class period, she wouldn't even look at me when I was teaching. It was very... odd. Something happened, but I need to know what.

After class had ended I asked if she could stay behind for a little talk.

I tap her on the shoulder, and look to the side. "Hey. Could you please stay here for a second? I need to speak with you."

She turned away from the door, and shut it. "What's up?"

I sigh. "You barley even looked at me today, Mariah. You didn't even say a word to me. What the hell is going on? Please, tell me."

"Aniya... calm down. I just-" She hesitated. "I just don't feel good at all today. I feel like throwing up 24/7. I'm gonna go to the office to call my mom. I'll talk to you later I guess."

I felt bad suddenly. And, somewhat guilty.

"No, wait. I'm sorry. I obviously didn't know. I just thought... something else was going on. But clearly. Im sorry okay? Do you wanna come over tomorrow? And we can talk?"

She looks up at me. "Maybe. I don't know probably still be sick by then but I'll let you know. See you." She then walks out.

Did I do something? Is it cuz' I haven't texted or called? What's going on?

I get home from work and I find Grace sitting on my couch.

"Grace-!!" I scream, jumping a little. "What the fuck! What did I tell you about this type of shit? Stop coming into my house like it's yours." I say slamming the door walking over to the kitchen.

"Oh, my bad." She says in a sarcastic tone. "I don't care, Aniya. Why don't you tell me what's going on? You know. How was work?" She says as she gets up from the couch.

I turn to her. "It was...fine... but what are you talking about, Grace?"

"Are you kidding me, Aniya? Are you fucking kidding me? Stop playing dumb. I wanna hear it from you, so spit it out."

I stare at her blankly. "What are yo-"

"You know, what I'm talking about. Spit it out."

I just stare at her for a good moment, confused.

"Okay. Fine. Since you're too stupid to figure it out, then I'll spell it out for you."

My eyes flinch ever so slightly, wondering what was going to come out of her mouth.

"Who the fuck is Mariah Anderson?"