SHIFTING

.....

A few days had passed, and Fiona remained unconscious. The doctor continued to monitor her regularly, wasting no time.

Irene was the only one in the patient's room. Greggy had left early for work, as he had some tasks to finish, and Irene understood.

When she heard the door open, Irene's thoughts were interrupted.

"Irene," Imee called her.

Imee had brought fruits and food. Irene approached her and took all the food from her hands.

"Ako muna magbabantay kay Fiona dito. Magpahinga ka. Alam kong pagod ka at kulang sa tulog," Imee suggested. She smiled. She didn't refused.

"Kukuha ako ng mga damit ni Fiona sa bahay. Ikaw na muna ang bahala dito, manang. If she is already awake, please inform me asap," Irene said. Imee hugged her and nodded.

...

Irene headed towards the mansion, feeling concerned as she passed by the living room and noticed a painting on the garden that was reflecting on the glass wall.

Curiosity led her to take a closer look since the image was somewhat blurry. She knew it was Fiona's artwork. As she approached, she covered her mouth in surprise.

"She fixed it... ang ganda," she softly said, tears welling up in her eyes.

"Anak..." she murmured while embracing the painting.

She sobbed, "I miss you, nang.. Please wake up now."

Something caught Irene's attention in the corner of the painting. It was a note that said:

'Hinigugma ta ka pero di pa ko ready nga pasayloon ka.' (I love you, but I'm not ready yet to forgive you.)

She couldn't understand what was written. It was in Bisaya, a language she had never heard before.

"What language is this?" Irene whispered, with genuine interest.

"Latin?" she wondered.

"Hinigugma? Wait, I've heard this from Rody when he said it to Manang," Irene whispered. She frowned as she looked at the roses.

"But they were arguing at that time; maybe this is a harsh word?" Irene pondered.

"Tama, tama. Galit sa 'kin si Fiona, maybe this is a harsh word. Ayoko nalang alamin," she said, pretending to smile. She paused and looked at the note again.

"Is Fionabella cursing me?" she started to wonder.

"Hmm... Wait, she's not that kind of person," she thought to herself.

She looked up the sky. "Sige Irene, overthink ka pa ha. Pwede mo namang itanong kay Kuya Rody."

"Pero teka, bakit nung sinabihan ni Rody si Manang ng hinigugma, umiyak siya? No, wag na. Hindi ko na aalamin baka masasaktan lang ako." Irene said.

She rereads the note and notices a heart symbol. She raised her eyebrow.

"Pero bakit may ganto? Ano ba talaga meaning?" She asked herself. She pouted.

"Matalino akong tao pero nabobobo ako sayo anak..." She whispered.

"Pambihirang buhay naman oh" She said.

"Anyways, instead of overthinking here Irene. Kumuha ka na ng damit niyo ng anak mo para makabalik ka na agad sa hospital." She continue.

Her phone abruptly rang as she was about to leave the garden. It was Imee.