Horrifying Nightmare

Iron clashed overhead, drawing a lightning strike from the darkened stormy sky. He was here. Manic laughter reached my ears as the man who wielded his sword against mine pressed down harder. My hands burned, the force so strong as his long sweeping black hair draped around his sweat soaked face that was glaring down at me.

"Surrender, Azora." He commanded, his eyes of steel gray flashing with power. The rain continued to pour from overhead, mixing with the sweat that dripped from my body; dripped from his sharp and pointed chin nearly flawless despite centuries of ruling. I glanced down to shield my eyes from the thunderous clouds overhead. My body looked so foreign, unrecognizable clad in the strangest robes of purple and black.

What was I staring at? This was not my body, those were not my hands that desperately held to the sword above my head. It was me, but it wasn't me, and my knees crashed to the water logged ground. Mud sprayed up around me, coating the green grass as the silver from his tunic swung closer to my face. This was not one of the warriors, not his faithful son, no the King had feigned to make an appearance just for me. Information I was confused I knew.

I cackled, a seely cackle that came from my throat but not the one I owned. "I once would've considered such an action for you, my King. But no longer."

He roared in frustration and raised his blade away from mine, readying to swing it down upon me once more. I released one hand from the hilt of my sword and opened fingers that I once again did not own, but were still mine and an orb of darkness swirling with silver erupted in the palm of my hand.

Raising it high, ready to release my grasp around this sphere of power to send it cascading around us, a darkness that would've swallowed the world, the King's hand grasped my wrist and this bracelet made not of silver but of silver flew from his and wrapped around mine, binding against my flesh in searing agony.

The orb vanished and I dropped the sword from my other hand. "No!" I cried out in a voice I had never heard, though the words erupted from my very throat. The metal singed my skin, sinking deeper and deeper and the flow of power that coursed through my veins ebbed slowly away. As another cloud of thunder clapped over head, the king gripped my other arm and another bracelet snaked around my wrist. They burned a bright fiery red and yellow and then expanded and enveloped the entirety of my hands, caging them away.

The king dropped his sword and the ensuing thunder and lightning dissipated, to be left with only rain that continued to pour around us. This field, riddled with blood stains and death from both sides of the battle, was coming to an end. "She will come one day." I seethed out, looking deeply into the sorrowed King's eyes.

Hate was all I could feel. Betrayal from him had caused the downfall of all I had worked so hard for, all I stood for. "And when she comes, there will be nothing you can do to stop her." My voice so different than my own spat a promise, one that burned deeply in my soul, my real soul that I knew was my own.

I opened my mouth one more time, "I will rise again." And the king, anger and violence riddling his body, clamped his fingers around my tongue and sliced his blade clean through.

----------------------

I shot up in bed, a silent scream escaping my lips. My silk sleeping garments clung to my body that was drenched in a cold sweat. That dream. That dream that I had been having every night for over a week still seemed as real and fresh as the first time it had haunted my slumber. Resting my hand against my chest, I urged my heart to calm and listened to the deep steady breathing of the man beside me.

Dustin lay on his stomach, out cold and unaware of the nightmare that I had been thrown from. Every night, it started the same and every night it ended the same. My name had been spoken from an ancient tongue, while I resided in a body that was not my own. It was as if I watched the entire battle as well as fought within it.