Time For A Ball

I barely recognized myself as I stood in front of the mirror. Ethimelle had once again done my makeup so exquisitely and now it was my turn to do my hair. But I wasn't sure how to style it. Her turquoise blue face popped into the bathroom as I continued to stand completely still. "Child, if you don't finish your hair, you won't be ready on time."

She had already offered to do it for me, but I had refused to which she'd told me she understood. Even she had known about a witch and her hair, which brought some still leftover disgust from what the King had done back to the surface. Then my mind drifted to the middle of the night with Bayne.

His touch had been anything but disgusting and sleeping cocooned in his arms had been so calming, we didn't wake until the afternoon. I had wanted to just melt back into his embrace and never leave the silk sheets that of course, he had magically replaced before we'd fallen asleep.

"Azora?" Her prickly voice pierced through my thoughts, pulling me back to the present where I was now readying for the announcement and ball that was occurring in just a short time. "You could just leave it down? You've never worn it that way other than a few times at night." She didn't mention the fact that she had seen me wear it down when Bayne was present, in fact she seemed to avoid discussing anything that involved him and I.

But she was right, I hadn't worn it down in front of anyone, besides him, ever. He had also been the only one I'd ever let touch it, and maybe other than the King they would all be respectful enough to leave it alone. So I did. I brushed it out and let it hang down along my back.

Leaving the bathroom, I stepped out to find Ethimelle holding a golden yellow dress. Large and extravagant, as much as I loved the color yellow, this dress made me want to puke. I shook my head, protesting the dress.

"It will match the King and the color of his robes. He requested it." Ethimelle replied, heading towards the folding screen.

But I remained frozen in my silk night outfit that I had yet to change out of. I could not stomach the idea of matching him. This was my last day here, the last time I would be treated with such hospitality. And I wouldn't go out wearing that dress.

The words that came out of my mouth shocked even myself, for I had planned to just say no and ask for a different dress. "What color is Bayne wearing?" Was instead what I asked.

I clamped my hand over my mouth as Ethimelle went rigid. She slowly turned to face me, confusion written so plainly across her body. And then it faded and she sighed. "I cannot explicitly go against the King's orders. But if in your closet, you just happen to find a forest green dress that would look exquisite on you, then so be it." She winked at me and I smiled before hurrying to the closet.

Spread across the cloth bench in the middle was one of the most beautiful dresses I had ever laid my eyes upon. As I began to pull the folds of fabric onto my body, something Bayne had said about soulmates struck me odd. "Ethimelle?" I called, slipping my arms through the golden cuffs that were paired with the dress and fastening them around my upper arms.

"Yes, child?"

I adjusted the halter top of the dress, the waves of the cloth rippling down across my body in the most feminine shape, without being too revealing. I liked this one so much better, it had a peek-a-boo slit with golden leaves that trimmed the dress as it flowed to the floor like a waterfall. "What happened to the fae and mortals that were soulmates when the veil was raised?"

Stepping out of the closet, Ethimelle smiled at me but her eyes were sad. "Well, the mortals forgot that we even existed and as a result, couldn't remember the bond. Although many fae say they could feel the emptiness through the veil and most mortals never loved again."