A Trip to the Mortal Realm

Bayne was gone by the time I had reawakened to a fresh pair of clothes for the day slung over the folding screen. Breakfast was not waiting for me like usual and once I was dressed with my hair braided into the crown, Ethimelle seemed to know I was ready and shimmered into the room.

"You're having breakfast on the balcony today." She offered her arm, spoke nothing of what happened last night, and I linked it before we shimmered swiftly onto the patio. It was just Bayne this morning and I looked around at all the other empty seats. He didn't say a word about last night either, and it was not brought up again. Instead he gestured at the seat across from him and continued to silently munch on some grapes.

"Where's everyone else?" I asked.

"Dei is dealing with a skirmish at the northern border again, Brierra is getting some beauty rest, and my father is off with the council once more deciding how to handle the increasing unrest."

I sat down across from him and studied his face for a moment. Remembering the dream from a few nights ago, it was interesting how, even as an immortal, he looked older, wiser, but still that same Bayne that had been so rage filled, he would've killed Runa in that moment and a small part of me felt angry at Bayne. Angry at King Orym for fighting against freedom. But no matter how disgusted I was with King Orym after everything, I couldn't quite hate Bayne the same.

"So it's just us training this morning?" I took a bite of a strawberry and he nodded.

"Can we do something else?" I asked, the breeze dancing a little lighter with song as he finally looked at me. That ever inquisitive eyebrow raised in questioning. His eyes flickered to my forehead for a moment and I smiled once he saw that the small cut had healed completely. Whatever Ethimelle had applied worked like magic.

"Like what?" He leaned forward and laced his fingers under his chin, exposing his bare back that was also free of wounds.

"Show me more. More than just these castle grounds; like that beautiful pond. I want to see your kingdom."

He scoffed. "It's not mine." But something mischievous twinkled behind his eyes. If he really wanted, he could easily overthrow his father and take the throne and he knew it too. And so did his father, evident from the whipping last night to try and keep him in line.

"Then show me Illesall. All of it. Not just these castle grounds that I have already seen." I pleaded again and he leaned back, almost like he was ready to bargain with me.

Which he did. "Then show me yours." His cadmium eyes danced along with the tune that played. Sitting back for a moment to consider his request, I realized I had left in late July, and now it was September. It had been a couple months of the most incredible and confusing time of my life.

I returned my focus to Bayne who lounged in front of me, his fighting leathers only covering his lower half as usual. "Show you my what?" I asked for clarification.

"Your home. If I am to show you more of mine, I want to see some of this New York City you've talked about." He rested his hands in his lap and watched me.

"That would require shimmering through the veil and I barely make it on my own. I could hurt you trying to cross it, if I can even cross it with you and-" I rambled but he cut me off.

"I trust you."

My heart sank. He shouldn't. You shouldn't, I screamed silently at him but watched his eyes. They were softly pained, but mostly curious and excited. Mostly intrigued and almost ready to take on this new challenge. "Ok." I breathed out, barely loud enough for him to hear, but a huge grin erupted along his face and he stood from his seat.