Consequences

A knowing smile caressed my mother's face. A soft flick of her wrist had the liquid stopping its movement and then slowly spread away from the center. Rumbling sounded as the liquid left the pool and Azora's body rose from the center.

No longer clothed in fighting leathers, she now wore a dress of gold. Light fabric billowed from her body, hugging her muscular frame and accentuating her curves. It hugged her waist, and covered just up to her breasts where the fabric stopped and golden stars coated her arms and back in place of sleeves. Along her left arm, the dragon tattoo had returned, this time larger, more aggressive looking with that milky purple sheen from when she shimmered littered with golden flecks.

Her jet black hair was held back with the diadem that Deimos had wrapped around her head and then I saw it. Her ears. "Is she-?" I questioned as I felt something snap back into place. The very bond that had died, became taut once more and I was physically tugged forward. The fairies song became brighter, faster, more intense as she went from laying on her back to hovering upright, like she was standing.

"Immortal."

I ran forward, stopping just at the edge of the pool, watching her skin flush with life once more. Her heart beat loudly in her chest, but her eyes remained closed. "Is she Fae?" I asked once more and my mom softly laughed.

"No. She's not."

"Then what is she?"

"She is Azora." My mom answered and my little witch shot her eyes open.

Beautiful rays of the most clear blue shot from her eyes. Sky blue eyes as clear as if on a cloudless summer day stared back at me as her body was slowly lowered to the ground. Then she blinked, the rays of light faded and that haze left her eyes. Confusion filled them until her gaze rested on me.

Her lip trembled, eyes filling with disbelief. She remained still, standing in place just watching me. Then her lips parted, those full beautiful lips parted and the most incredible word sang from her voice. "Bayne?"

Sweet and real. Alive.

I nodded, afraid of opening my mouth to speak so I just nodded and her knees buckled. My arms wrapped around her body as we both knelt on the ground. She buried her face into my chest and I held her.

"Hi little witch." I whispered and she sobbed, her body shaking.

"Your mate is a fighter, the strongest fighter I have ever known." My mother spoke from behind. Azora didn't even seem to notice as she leaned deeper into my embrace. I tucked my face into her neck, refusing to let go for as long as she needed me to hold her. Also because I needed to hold her.

"I love you. I tried to say it, tried to tell you, but-" She rambled against my chest and I chuckled.

"I love you too." I breathed against her body and slipped my fingers into her hair. She shuddered against my frame from the touch- my favorite thing. Then she pulled her head back from me and gazed up at my eyes. Her brows furrowed and she lifted a delicate hand.

Fingers slid across the crown that adorned my forehead. "What's this?" She asked.

"There's been an interesting turn in events, my Queen." I replied. Her eyes widened in shock as she realized I wasn't just saying that as a sweet nickname but as a way to tell her I was King.

She twisted the ivory headband for a moment. "I thought you didn't want to be King."

I smiled at her and cupped her cheeks. "I don't, but it doesn't seem quite as terrible of a position with you by my side." Her face lifted into a massive grin and I couldn't help myself. I crashed my lips against her mouth. She giggled against the kiss, but leaned in deeper. Pressing against me, sharing with me every moment that we had lost.