postlude

lorelei

what does it feel like to die?

that's the million dollar question, isn't it?

is it cold? dark? lonely? is it being suspended in a pit of nothingness?

what does it feel like to die?

is there a warmth? the light that draws you in and encourages you to the other side?

what does it feel like to die?

i know.

there is a warmth.

there's a warm that encompasses you, embraces you, so warm that you never want to leave. you feel loved, welcomed, comfortable. so comfortable that you don't miss your life on earth as it was.

there is a light.

there's a light that blinds you at first, but then it shows you the afterlife that you could have. you can leave behind the war, the violence, the injustice that is life on earth. there's a light that you gravitate toward - it's inviting.

then there is instinct.

no one talks about that part.

there's an instinctive power that overcomes you once you die. you feel driven, panicked once you figure out where you are and what happened to you. you get past the initial amazement, the romanticization of what is to come. you snap out of the dreariness and look around, soaking in the fact that you are indeed dead, gone.

there is a suspension.

you are suspended in nothingness. the earth is below and the heavens are above. you panic, you panic and you thrash because there is so much that you haven't accomplished in this life that you wanted to. there are so many things that you want to do that you were scared of before.

there is an instinct.

an instinct to love.

love.

there is no one way to love. you wish that you could've loved more, loved differently, loved better. you wish that you can go back and do things differently. you see that love is what lights the earth and the heavens. it's the one thing that mortality and the afterlife have in common.

love.

love exists in all parallels of the universe. love is what unites the physical, tangible world with the higher power, the heavens. love heals and drives. love is the reason.

love is the reason you fight.

love only fuels the instinct, the thrashing, the fight. love is what pushes you to have the desire to go back to your earthy vessel and make amends, forgive, create the light that is so desperately needed among the physical world today.

there is also the instinct to let go.

the two instincts conflict. you know you should fight. you know it's natural to want to live, to avoid the light at all costs because that means your earthly journey is over. it's saddening, you don't want to leave your life.

the light makes that difficult.

you want to gravitate towards it. you want to let the warmth consume you, flood your veins so you never have to experience any pain or loss or injustice again. you want to let it take you. there's an instinct to heal, to sleep, to let the warmth and light comfort you in your last conscious moments.

do you live? do you fight? do you ignore the instinct to let go?

or do you succumb to the warmth? do you let go? ignore the instinct to live another day?

do you fight? or do you give in?

which do you choose?