Chapter 26: I've Dug Two Graves For Us, My Dear.

♤ "𝐒𝐭𝐨𝐩 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐰𝐚𝐢𝐭 𝐚 𝐬𝐞𝐜
𝐖𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐚𝐭 𝐦𝐞 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭,
𝐦𝐲 𝐝𝐚𝐫𝐥𝐢𝐧', 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐝𝐢𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭?
𝐈'𝐝 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐛𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐲 𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐚𝐝𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮
𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐬 𝐚𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝 𝐦𝐲 𝐧𝐞𝐜𝐤
𝐎𝐫 𝐈 𝐝𝐢𝐝 𝐥𝐚𝐬𝐭 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐈 𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐜𝐤𝐞𝐝,"

- 𝐀𝐫𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐜 𝐌𝐨𝐧𝐤𝐞𝐲𝐬, 𝟓𝟎𝟓. ♤

"𝐖𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐞𝐧𝐝 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐬𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐨𝐧
𝐈𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞'𝐬 𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐲
𝐇𝐨𝐥𝐝 𝐨𝐧, 𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐝 𝐨𝐧, 𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐝 𝐨𝐧
𝐈 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐢𝐭 𝐚𝐰𝐚𝐲 𝐛𝐞𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐬𝐭𝐮𝐦𝐛𝐥𝐞
(𝐇𝐨𝐥𝐝 𝐨𝐧, 𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐝 𝐨𝐧)
𝐈 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐲 𝐛𝐲 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐬𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐥 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐬𝐮𝐫𝐯𝐢𝐯𝐞
(𝐇𝐨𝐥𝐝 𝐨𝐧, 𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐝 𝐨𝐧)
𝐈 𝐡𝐨𝐩𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐛𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐦."

- 𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐡𝐚, 𝐅𝐭. 𝐑𝐌, 𝐖𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐅𝐥𝐨𝐰𝐞𝐫. ♤

 ♤

15:15pm
May 18th
Hyosan
Forest

I get them now.

I get what survivors in movies feel after they escape.

To be a survivor requires another level of guilt, another level of pain.

Mi-Ra wouldn't count herself a full survivor, her friends weren't yet in a safe place but she couldn't call herself a fighter either. She became something that wasn't entirely human, she became something that couldn't be let in a town with innocent humans. She didn't feel human anyway, there was no need for her to seek shelter when she was immune to the chaos, when she was part of that chaos.

But what hurt the most as a survivor, wasn't the fact that she had to leave everything she knew behind, it wasn't the fact that she had to become something everyone feared. It was the fact that she had to make the terrible decision of running when Cheong-San told her to.

I'm hungry.

Mi-Ra's while body hurt. Her heart, her muscles, her ears, her throat. All of it. It hurt so much but none could prepare her for that either. Mi-Ra never wanted for anyone to die during this hell, she never expected Cheong-San to get bitten or for her to get so weak that she had no choice but allow Cheong-San to make her a false promise and walk away.