Chapter 8

Joe

Daylight is filtering through the blinds in the apartment when I wake up from my third attempt at sleep. It takes me a minute to work out where I am, then it all comes screaming back to me, Kate-style.

I'm facing Sienna who is still sleeping soundly, her breathing even. She's obviously been too hot during the night as she's thrown the sheet off and . . .

Oh god, her silky white vest top has slipped down to reveal a small pale pink nipple. I suck in my breath. Her bed is so close to mine I could reach out and touch it right now. Tweak it. I give myself a mental shake.

Wasn't it just a few hours ago I gave that speech about what an honorable person I was and how I wouldn't touch her?

And that speech in itself was prompted by the fact that we definitely had just had what I could only describe as a moment, alone together in her room in the middle of the night, and if she had made the first move there was absolutely no way I wouldn't have went there. I don't think I could have resisted.

So I felt like I needed, somehow, to lay down a boundary.

I'm a fucking idiot.

She starts to stir and I panic, close my eyes and feign sleep. I hear a slight intake of breath - she's obviously realised the wardrobe malfunction - and I hear a rustle as she adjusts herself. She sits up. Everything feels really silent all of a sudden. I'm very aware of how quickly I'm breathing.

"You're awake, aren't you?" She says bluntly, breaking the stillness. "You saw my fucking nip-slip, didn't you?"

My face instantly gives me away at her words. "Afraid so," I reply, opening my eyes and squinting at her apologetically. "I was trying to protect your modesty."

"Aw shucks, you're all heart, aren't you?" She snipes but with good humour. She unfolds herself from the bed and walks over to the kitchen area. "You want a croissant? They're chocolate ones."

"Sure."

As she's handing one to me, the apartment door swings open. "Sienna, I need to tell you . . ." Kate bounces into the room and stops abruptly when she sees me too. "Oh," she says smugly. "It's like that, is it?" She looks the pair of us up and down, adds two and two together and comes up with five.

"No, I think you'll find that I had to rescue Joe from sleeping outside because you and Jack were making way too much noise," Sienna snaps, an angry flush spreading over her face.

"Oh." Kate's hand flies to her mouth, looking a bit embarrassed. She glances at me. "Sorry Joe," she adds. I shrug. "I didn't realise we were being so loud."

"Joe," Sienna says pointedly. "If it happens again, you can feel free to have Kate's bed again. Because it probably will happen again." She marches over to the fridge and pulls out a can of Fanta, opening it while glaring confrontationally at her friend.

It's definitely time for me to leave. "Look, I'll take my croissant to go," I say, picking up my other belongings. "I need to try to sort out a car for us anyway. Will I meet you at the pool in a couple of hours, Sienna?"

Her face softens as she smiles at me, gratefully, her blue eyes sparkling. "That sounds like a plan, thanks Joe."

She's so bloody cute. I'm in such dangerous territory here.

Right now, I can't seem to care though.

Nip-slip aside, Joe is definitely starting to catch feels, right? 🤣

I hope you are enjoying the story! Please like, comment and share if you do. 💜