Chapter 9

Sienna

Left alone with me, Kate turns to me and sighs. "I'm sorry, Sienna," she says softly. "I've been a shitty friend the last few days."

I'm not letting her off the hook that easy. I nod. "You have."

"I just - I got so caught up in Jack, I've not felt like this about anyone in so long. But I woke up this morning and I realised I'd barely saw you in two days, hadn't even bothered to check you were okay. And I know you hate being alone at the moment." She bites her lip, and looks pleadingly at me with her big brown eyes. "I'm here now though. We'll make it work somehow."

I feel myself softening. "You really like Jack, don't you?"

She flops backwards onto the bed, a goofy smile spreading across her face. "I do, I really do. I feel like it has potential to be more than just a holiday romance."

"Then don't worry about it." I shrug. "I appreciate the apology, Kate. I'm not going to lie, I've had a crappy couple of days and you've really pissed me off. But I'm going to spend the rest of the holiday with Joe, so you're off the hook."

"So what's going on there?" She asks curiously. "Are the two of you . . .?" She raises her eyebrows suggestively and smirks.

"Nope, we're just friends," I say firmly.

"He's pretty gorgeous though," she smiles. "Don't tell Jack this, but it was Joe I noticed first. Obviously, all water under the bridge now," she adds quickly. "But when I first went over to them it was Joe I had my eye on.

"He was friendly enough, but I could tell he wasn't interested in me . . . I ended up chatting to Jack and we hit it off immediately so it all worked out for the best. Jack says that Joe might as well be a monk though, he apparently just isn't bothered with relationships anymore."

Oh really? I'm curious about that. Because, despite his little speech last night, I know I've not been imagining the chemistry between me and him. I've never been the best at telling when a guy is attracted to me, but after what happened in the middle of the night, I feel sure he does.

But based on Kate's words, even if I was to give up on my self imposed guy ban to rebound firmly off Joe, he wouldn't be up for it anyway.

Which is what I've already told myself, but I'm now wondering why he doesn't do relationships, if that is indeed the case.

"What's going on inside your head?" Kate asks eagerly.

"I'm just wondering what his story is," I reply. "I don't know much about him yet. He's way too good looking to not have girls throwing themselves at him. And he actually seems like a nice guy too."

"You like him," Kate accuses, smiling.

(Yes, I admit, only to myself though. I have a bit of a crush. But I'm keeping the reins tight on it, I'm not letting it get out of control.)

"All Jack said, and he was very vague, was that Joe had a bit of a bad history with relationships so he doesn't really get involved anymore."

Curiouser and curiouser.

It's fine though. I'm not looking to get involved and if we keep it strictly platonic it means no awkwardness.

We both get ready and head down to the pool. Thankfully there are loads of free loungers and very few dickheads who have decided to lay out their towels in a prime position with no intention of using them until later on in the day. That drives me up the wall. So I'm glad that's been one less thing to worry about on this particular holiday.

"Where are you and Joe meant to be going today?" Kate asks me as we bask in the mid-morning sunshine. Jack hasn't appeared yet but Kate doesn't seem to be expecting him for a while. Maybe he's still trying to recover from their shaggathon last night.

"Fiskardo, I think." It's a picturesque fishing village to the north of the island. "Depends if he's able to get a car hired successfully, obviously."

"Yeah, it's probably a bit far to walk," she sniggers.

I swat her lazily with my nearest hand and, and close my eyes. I'm actually knackered due to my unsettled sleep . . . Weirdly enough though once Joe was there with me I slept far better. Maybe I felt safer?

About an hour later I feel a light touch on my shoulder. It's the briefest of contact, a light swipe of one finger down my arm to get my attention, but I feel like all the nerve endings on my skin are vibrating. I open my eyes to see Joe perching on the neighbouring lounger, grinning at me.

What is he doing to me?

I've never really believed in lust at first sight. But Joe is quickly causing me to lose faith in my entire belief system.

His green eyes are twinkling. "I've got a car," he tells me. "Do you want to go to Fiskardo now?"

I'm pretty sure I'd go anywhere with him.

So Joe doesn't do relationships? I wonder why . . .

I hope you are enjoying the story! Please like, comment and share if you do. 💜