Chapter 34

Joe

I've barely stopped thinking about Sienna since she abandoned me at the airport last Wednesday. Even when I'm doing something else - hell, even when I was in the middle of a TV interview the other day - she is always lurking somewhere in the back of my mind.

At first when I couldn't find her in the airport I thought maybe it was for the best. She'd probably had a lucky escape from me. I didn't want to think that way but I'd been so determined that we didn't have a future at first . . . I almost didn't trust my own feelings.

As the days went on though, I'd felt her absence in my life more and more. It wasn't getting easier. And that made me think I needed to take action. I needed to find out if there was a chance, any chance, she was feeling the same as me.

So on Monday evening I swallowed my pride and knocked on my brother's door.

It swung open and Kate was standing there, a knowing expression on her face. She shouted back to Jack "Told you it would be less than seven days."

I eyed her in confusion. "What?"

She laughed. "I said it would be less than a week before you turned up here asking how to get in touch with Sienna. Jack thought it would take longer than that for you to admit it." She grabbed my arm, already acting like she'd been living there for years. "Come on through."

"It's been bloody obvious from the start you were smitten with her," Jack shrugged ten minutes or so later. "I saw the way you were looking at her in the pool bar that first night. It was like you were under a spell and she hadn't even noticed you."

"Rub it in, why don't you," I grumbled, taking a big swig from my bottle of beer. I hadn't realised just how obvious my feelings had been, possibly because I was still in denial myself at that stage. I certainly wouldn't have expected my brother of all folk to pick up on it.

"And don't even get me started on the night we happened to catch you kissing . . . You know, just a few hours after Sienna was adamant nothing was happening between you," Kate laughed. "The chemistry between the two of you could have caused an explosion." She curled up next to Jack, her head resting on his shoulder. "You should know she is absolutely gone for you too."

"She is?" I blinked.

She nodded. "Absolutely. I've known that girl for years, and I could tell she was head over heels. I've never known her to let her guard down with anyone that quickly."

"And you were a different person," Jack added, looking at me. "You've always been so cynical and . . . almost determined to punish yourself, I guess? It's like you allowed yourself to be happy around Sienna."

Once again, I was sort of blown away by my younger brother's level of insight. Had he always been like this?

"So do you want her number?" Kate offered.

That was initially what I was going to ask. But the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to make some sort of gesture. Something to properly show I wanted a relationship with her, that I was willing to invest.

"She messaged me earlier asking me to meet up for a drink this week, but I haven't had a chance to get back to her yet," Kate said slowly when I told them this. "Maybe we employ the old bait and switch method?"

The thought of seeing Sienna again made my heartbeat quicken and at that point I knew I was making the right move.

"And you're sure . . . she would want to see me?" I dared to ask. "I mean, she practically sprinted away from me at the airport."

Kate nodded with certainty. "Look Joe, Sienna has no confidence when it comes to guys. She's been ground down to a pulp by twats like Greg and she thinks she's got nothing to offer. She ran away from you because she thought it was better than you running away from her."

I winced. I couldn't actually imagine actively trying to run away from her any longer. But I couldn't blame her for thinking I might.

And so we put a plan in place. A location. A plan for Kate to meet Sienna there. A couple of texts from Kate to imply she was already at that location, waiting for her.

But instead, I'm here.

And I really hope she's going to want to hear what I have to say . . . And stay.

So the first person to realise Joe was smitten with Sienna was actually his brother . . . Crazy!

Any thoughts on what Joe's gesture might be?

I hope you are enjoying the story! Please like, comment and share if you do. 💜