Chapter 2

Sienna

Now, I don't want you to think I begrudge my best friend happiness. That's really not the case. And Kate has been through a bad time of it herself recently. She deserves to have a bit of fun, and it's sweet that she and this Jack guy are so into each other.

It's just a bit galling when this holiday was meant to be about me and I've been ignored the whole time. I didn't come here to be a third wheel. I came here to try and get over my ex and have a good time with my friend.

But for the last 24 hours or so I've been completely alone.

Last night I ended up eating a burger at the pool bar because Kate vanished first thing and didn't reappear until I was in bed. That was fun. I'm being sarcastic, obviously. I hate eating alone. Am I going to have to do that again tonight?

I get she's all wrapped in Jack but doesn't she realise that abandoning me like this isn't cool either?

I'm feeling ridiculously sorry for myself.

To be fair, she did invite me to join them at the pool this morning but I declined. Sit next to that over-the-top PDA all day? I'm not a total masochist.

I turn my laser beam eyes away from them again, since the gaze does not seem to be slicing them back onto two separate entities as intended, and I stare at the pool instead. It's empty, apart from a dark haired man currently swimming lengths.

Maybe I should have a swim? Who am I kidding, I've already been in and out of the pool six times today, trying to entertain myself in between reading my Kindle and walking up to the bar for another glass of wine.

There's also a pretty good chance I'm a bit tipsy now and shouldn't therefore be putting myself into a potential drowning situation. I flop back on my lounger and shut my eyes, groaning inwardly and wishing I was back under a blanket in my flat where it wouldn't matter that I was by myself.

I reopen my eyes just in time to watch the swimming guy hoist himself out of the pool like he thinks he's in some sort of cologne advert. Now, if I wasn't heartbroken, and was on the market for a bit of fun, I would definitely be into this dude. He pushes wet brown hair out of his eyes and although I've never really been sure what swoon means, I'm pretty sure that's what I do at the brief glimpse I get at his face before he walks over to his lounger to towel off. His body is definitely not bad either. My eyes linger briefly on the wet shorts clinging to his tight little arse before I give myself a mental slap for being a wee perv.

It's nice though, I suppose, to know I'm still capable of feeling lust, no matter how brief. I was starting to think Greg had broken me.

I slip my sunglasses on so I can watch covertly as he gathers his belongings together and leaves the pool area. Much to my surprise though, he pauses to momentarily separate my friend and Jack. They speak briefly before he nods and walks away.

Hmmm. So is Mr Pool Hotty also a third wheel? Now that I think about it, I think he also ate at the bar last night, watching the football on the TV. Deep in thought, I close my eyes again and drift off to sleep for a bit.

There's no sign of my friend when I wake up and she's not in the apartment either. I find a note there though saying "Gone out with Jack for a bite to eat!x"

Surprise sur-fucking-prise. Looks like it's going to be a bar meal for one for me again.

Muttering expletives under my breath most of the time, I shower and then dig through my suitcase (I find unpacking a chore so I generally just don't do it) for my pale pink midi dress, before quickly getting ready and walking down to the pool bar. It's still sunny so I order a wine and sit at a table beside the pool while I consider my next move.

I can't keep doing this all week, I think to myself. We're here until Wednesday morning and it's only Friday today. Four more days of being left alone is going to drive me crazy. I can feel myself welling up with angry tears and I blink them away as quickly as possible.

And that's when I spot him.

If you were in Sienna's situation, would you be happy with the idea of spending so much time alone on holiday? I definitely wouldn't!

I hope you are enjoying the story! Please like, comment and share if you do. 💜