Chapter 23

Sienna

Well, that went a bit awry.

My plan, if you could even call it that, when I followed Joe into the water, was to confront him about the book. But I took one look at his face, into those wide green eyes, his wet dark lashes spiking together, and I suddenly couldn't even formulate words anymore. I longed to touch him, wrap myself around him, be wrapped in him. I couldn't think. I just wanted to feel.

And then I'd ended up having my first public orgasm.

Now that I was definitely not expecting. You know that episode of "Friends" where Rachel says the most interesting place she's ever had sex is the foot of the bed? I have never even been that adventurous before. Shagging with the lights on has probably been me at my most outrageous.

Somehow I have a feeling Joe has probably had sex in many more daring places. I bet he's done it on a beach before, for example. He's probably a fully paid up member of the Mile High Club too, whereas I can't understand how you can possibly fit more than one person in an aeroplane toilet, let alone do anything else.

Now the high I experienced in the sea is starting to wear off, I'm beginning to retreat back into my head, and my brain is rapidly filling to the brim with self-doubt now. And it's because of the memories of Joe - sorry, J.P. - that are starting to come back to me from all those years ago.

J.P. Quinn was actually a bit of a celebrity for a couple of months after the book was released; I hadn't been able to place Joe before now but that's clearly why he'd felt so familiar to me right at the beginning. I recall seeing photos of him in gossip mags such as Heat 13 or 14 years ago, and sure enough, the pictures were from events like premieres and after parties. Obviously, my memory has clung onto this somewhere in its depths when I'd felt like those were the sort of events he belonged at. Because he actually had.

He wasn't quite as good-looking back then. More cute than handsome, a bit gangly and awkward. Turns out when I'd described my version of a younger him last night, I'd actually pretty much hit the nail on the head - I'd just been a few years out due to his apparent transformation from self-proclaimed angry nerd.

J.P. had made a good celebrity. He'd been charming, I remember. Had an easy answer to any question thrown at him. Popular with the ladies as well. Those aforementioned magazine photos occasionally featured at least one stunning girl at his side.

It may already be obvious to you all, but turns out I actually did have a crush on the younger Joe, just like I imagined I would. It's just that he was J.P. back then, and I hadn't made the connection.

I think back all those years to that crush and remember at the time I was in (shocker!) a crappy relationship with a guy who was pretty much permanently stoned and had no energy or inclination to even leave his flat most of the time. J.P. seemed to be my boyfriend's polar opposite and I had wondered what it would be like to date him. Not that he would have been interested in me back then.

And now I'm already wondering why someone like Joe, who has just got better over time, would be slumming it with me, a recently dumped desperado, even just as a holiday fling. I feel like he could do so much better than me.

At the same time, I can't doubt the sincerity on his face when he confessed he'd been attracted to me since he saw me stepping on that bus. Or the lust that often seems to turn his eyes dusky when he looks at me. And let's not forget that sweet expression that seems to just say "I really really like you" and warms my insides like I've just downed a shot of tequila.

I'm struggling to process all of this. I know that Joe and J.P. are one and the same. But my brain is not quite able yet to sync up the former celebrity crush I'd practically forgotten about (I had a lot of celebrity crushes and his fame was fleeting) from 14 years ago with my current gorgeous holiday buddy who is very much present in my mind all of the time at the moment.

The early afternoon sun beats down on us. I shoot a glance at Joe, who is lying on his towel next to me, his eyes closed. He seems completely relaxed and at-ease, while I'm abuzz with nervous energy and questions. So many questions. Some of which I don't feel I can ask.

I'm going to have to tell him that I know though. If I don't, I think I'll go mad.

But maybe, my twisted mind thinks, maybe I'll have a bit of fun with the secret first . . .

So turns out Sienna had a crush on Joe's alter ego . . . Will she remember more about his past?

I hope you are enjoying the story! Please like, comment and share if you do. 💜