Chapter 24

"I made French toast for you boys," Dallas's dad said. They sat down at the table. Logan poured himself a glass of orange juice, and Dallas got apple juice. Dallas's dad set down a tray of French toast on the table.

"Thanks dad," Dallas said.

"Thank you Mr. Trastevere," Logan said.

"Oh please, call me Jim," Jim said.

"I'm Logan, nice to meet you," he said.

"So Dallas tells me you just met," Jim continued.

"Yeah, we met at FBLA when we got assigned as partners," Logan explained.

"Oh, so you also take business classes. Do you take any AP classes?" Jim asked. "Dad, stop interrogating him," Dallas interrupted.

"I was only trying to ask some questions to get to know your friend better," Jim said defensively.

"Well, ask him like he isn't a criminal," Dallas said back.

"It's alright, I don't mind," Logan cut in. "I take AP European history," he said

"Wow. Do you get a lot of homework?" Jim asked.

"Yeah, and there's some big projects," Logan replied.

"Yeah, that's what AP classes do. Good luck," Jim said.

"Thank you," Logan said, taking a bite of French toast. "Mmm, this is delicious," he said with a mouthful of French toast.

"Thank you, I really appreciate it," Jim replied.

"So you're done interrogating?" Dallas asked.

"Yes, I'm done. For now," Jim said, snickering. Dallas gave him a look, and returned to his French toast.

"Sorry about that, my dad is really extroverted. He can't stop talking sometimes," Dallas said.

"It's fine, I don't mind, seriously. As long as it doesn't get excessively long or awkward," Logan replied.

"Awkward conversations are the worst, especially small talk," Dallas agreed.

"Why do people even initiate small talk? Just to break the silence?" Logan asked.

"I guess. Either that or they just really like talking, I don't know," Dallas replied. They finished their breakfast, and went back upstairs.

"Seriously, your dad makes delicious French toast," Logan said as Dallas closed the door.

"Yeah, it's really good. It's a family recipe we got a long time ago," Dallas replied.

"Always with the family recipes," Logan said.

"Does your family have any recipes?" Dallas asked.

"Not that I know of, my family isn't really good enough at cooking to have recipes being saved for generations," Logan replied. Dallas looked at the clock and sighed.

"It's a little past 10, you have to go soon," Dallas said sadly. Logan could see the way his eyes looked when he was sad. It pained him to see Dallas like this. He could see the sadness in his eyes, and it hurt every inch of Logan.

"Alright, I'll text my mom soon," Logan replied, his own sadness showing.

"At least we get to call again tonight for the all-nighter," Dallas said, trying to lighten the mood.

"That's true. We get to endure the joy of staying up for the majority of the night and have school 24 hours later," Logan agreed.

"Haha, that's always fun."

"My mom is on her way now, so it should be another 15 minutes before I have to leave."

"Oh, ok," Dallas said. "What can I do in 15 minutes?" he asked himself, trying to think of something to do. After a few seconds of silence, he heard his crush's voice. Dallas still jumped inside whenever he heard Logan talk, even though he heard his voice countless times.

"We could play the trivia game again," Logan suggested.

"Sure, that doesn't take forever to set up, and we can end it quickly," Dallas replied. "Let me set up a link." A minute later, they were trying to answer the question: 'Which team won the Superbowl in 2016?'

"I have no idea, I don't follow football," Dallas said.

"I don't either. I'm just going to guess the Patriots, they seem to be winning a lot of Superbowls," Logan replied.

"Then I'll guess the Broncos," Dallas said. "Wow, I was right!" Dallas exclaimed.

"That was just a guess, you got lucky," Logan said. The next question was 'Which manufacturer makes both semi-trucks and automobiles?'

"Oh I know this one," Dallas said, answering confidently.

"What? How do you know this?" Logan asked, puzzled.

"I told you, I know a lot about transportation," Dallas replied, grinning. "Not fair. I'm guessing Chevrolet," Logan said, pretending to be annoyed.

"It was Volvo," Dallas said, still grinning.

"I didn't know Volvo made semi trucks," Logan said.

"Yeah, they do. Since the late '70s," Dallas replied.

"I would not have known that," Logan said. "I should probably pack up my stuff now."

"I can help you," Dallas said. They rolled up their sleeping bags and stuffed them in their respective bags. Logan packed his pillow, chargers, and toiletries. A few minutes later, his mom pulled into the driveway.

"My mom is here, I have to go now," Logan said.

"Alright, we'll call tonight then," Dallas responded, trying not to let his disappointment show.

"Yep. Hopefully we don't stay up all night, or we'll be dead on Monday," Logan said back, standing in the doorway.

"With me helping, I don't think we'll be up all night, but we'll get more sleep on Sunday night than tonight," Dallas replied.

"Perfect. I look forward to it. I really do need to leave now," Logan said.

"Ok, bye Logan!" Dallas said, waving.

"Bye Dallas!" Logan replied, walking out the door. Logan walked to his mom's car, loaded his bag in the backseat, and sat up front.