16. Morana Barnes

September 9th, 2022 8:30 pm

Back To Square One:

"What?" a harsh sigh left my lips as I crossed my arms over my chest in annoyance. Logan just told us that the DNA sample has been contaminated. Our witness's hair is also on the jacket due to her proximity and the fact that it was a little windy last night. "So now what? We're back to square one?"

"Not necessarily Barnes. We can release the police sketch and see if anyone saw someone who matches it,"

"Yeah but it's only the side of his face. Anyone could look like that from the side," I said. I felt like I was losing my mind. We could've had it. Alas, these things happen sometimes. I mean our witness did her best trying not to contaminate anything. "Ok, so we release the police sketch. Let's say people think they've seen him. That's how many people that might have to be dragged into the station?"

"Too many, and most of them will be innocent. It's all we got though,"

"Yeah, it seems that's all we've been saying with every small piece of evidence we got. Ok so what about the stuff we brought you back from Lisa's crime scene? Any luck with any of that?"

"Well that small piece of fabric you gave me came from the killer's jacket. I'm assuming he didn't know that it was torn off. There was no DNA on it aside from Lisa's blood and everything else you brought was pretty much useless. Nothing had anything to nail him,"

I tried to wrack my brain for what else we could do but there was nothing. I was coming up short. We were doing everything we could; double and triple-checking crime scenes, going through evidence multiple times and talking to witnesses over and over again.

There was literally nothing else we could do and once we release this police sketch we're gonna have our hands full with possible suspects and most will be ruled out quickly. I guess it's better to get a head start right now. "Alright let's get this done so we can think about our next move." I said.

Chaset and I walked out of Logan's office and got started on getting the sketch out there. After that, all we have to do is wait and see how many tips come in and how many of them will lead us somewhere.

After a couple of hours of the sketch being out, we had endless people call and give us whatever information they thought they had. The ones we did immediately led nowhere and the ones after also led nowhere. We stayed up at the station until one in the morning and eventually we had to call it quits for the night. We'd have to pick it back up when we get here to work.

When I got home I wasn't even tired. The only reason I even went home was that Chaset practically forced me. I set my keys on the kitchen counter as I took off my badge and hung it up as well as hung up my belt on the rack. I titled my head side to side to relieve some of its tension.

I rolled my shoulders back and shook out my hands before walking upstairs to my room. I took my shoes off and threw them to the side and untucked my shirt before I started to unbutton it. I walked to my drawer and found some pajamas for the shower.

I walked into my bathroom and turned on the shower water making sure it was room temperature. I don't like hot showers. I undressed and stepped into the shower. I stepped under the water letting it soak my body and I closed my eyes as my body relaxed.

A satisfied sigh left my lips and I felt relieved of any tension I had left. I washed my hair and then bathed up before rinsing off and getting out. I wrapped a towel around my head and one around my body before walking into my room.

I grabbed my ocean wave-scented lotion from my dresser and began putting it on. I took the towel off my head and got dressed and then grabbed my matching perfume and sprayed it on my body. I grabbed my comb off my vanity and parted my hair in two putting it into two braids.

I set my comb back where it was and climbed into bed. I wasn't really hungry and it was early. I knew I wasn't gonna sleep much so the plan was to get as much as I could before my body woke up and I was right back at the station.