9. Morana Barnes

September 6th, 2022 5:56 pm

Another Found:

I sighed while walking away from the group of people. They had no information for me. They didn't see anything. A lot of people crowded around the area to see what was happening. A body had just been called in and from the looks of it, our killer has struck again. Within 12 days two people have been killed.

A week and five days and we still had no idea who could've done this. I heard someone approaching and turned to look at Chaset who was passing by the crowd of people. "Well?" Chaset asked looking around the scene.

"Jason Lang, a 20-year-old college student. Was on his way home when he was attacked. Seems to be killed the same as Sydney but an autopsy will be done to make sure," I told Chaset. She nodded her head taking in my words before walking over to Logan as he took pictures of the body carefully. He paused feeling Chaset's presence and then turned to look at her.

As Chaset studied Jason's body I went over to Jason's parents. They were the ones that found him. I couldn't imagine what that felt like. The looks on their faces as they stared at Jason were filled with nothing but sorrow. This will never get easy. Seeing the looks on Jason's and Sydney's parents was too much. All the pain and suffering that was going on within a week was just crazy. Too much for anyone to handle.

"Mr. and Mrs. Lang," I said clearing my throat and putting on my game face. "I wanted to talk to you about Jason. Is there anyone that would want to hurt him?" I guessed that was a good place to start because once again there wasn't any evidence.

"Not that I could think of. Jason was a very kind boy, too kind sometimes," his father said. "His friends seemed like good people and he was always with them so maybe they know something we don't,"

"Was there anything off with Jason before he left the house? Did anything seem odd?"

"No, everything was normal. He came downstairs dressed and ready for school, we ate breakfast and I asked him how his classes were going. He hung out with Mina for a little bit and then he left. I had texted him and told him that his mother and I were gonna be out for a little while to go grocery shopping and run a few errands and that was it.

That's when we came back and we saw...." he stopped himself. "We thought he was a stranger that had passed out from drinking or drugs but.." his voice cracked.

"It's okay Mr. Lang you don't have to continue," my chest tightened. "Can I have the names of Jason's friends? We'd like to speak with them and try and see if they may know something. If you remember seeing anything or maybe hearing something don't be afraid to call and let us know,"

"Thank you, officer," he said as he turned to his wife and child.

I walked away and over to Chaset who was still talking to Logan. Everything about this case was the same, exactly the same, and it would seem our killer took some of Jason's things as souvenirs. As the thought passed through my mind I mentally cursed.

We were still looking at all the hiking trails we had about 20 more to search so that was gonna take a while but now I doubted we'd find any of Sydney's things. "What's with the face?" Chaset asked noticing the pensive look on my face.

"Our killer might have Sydney's backpack. It has all her stuff in there and they probably have it,"

"Damn it. That makes things a lot harder because if we do find Sydney's crime scene there's gonna be nothing there." Anything could happen on a hiking trail. Rock slides, animals walking over the evidence, rain. So many things could happen in just as little as a few hours so the chances of finding any evidence for Sydney's case was gonna be hard.