22. May Barnes

September 14th, 2022 3:49 pm

Divided:

At Jace's house, he seemed bothered by something. I couldn't tell what it was, but as I sat next to him doing my homework, he seemed stiff. Rigid. I was confused and wanted to know what was going on inside his head. "Everything okay?" I asked. I glanced up at him and his eyes met mine. He stared at me for a second and shook his head.

"It's nothing," he said shortly.

"It can't be nothing if it's bothering you this much. You're glaring at the t.v and haven't spoken a word since I got here. Usually, you can't wait to tell me about your day and I didn't get to see you yesterday so I really want to know. You did say you had an important internship meeting you had to attend. I want to know about it,"

"I had to reschedule,"

"Why?" he didn't answer me. I frowned and I wished I could drop the subject but it was very clear something was wrong. I stared at him but he continued to watch the t.v and ignore me. "You know ignoring me, is just gonna make me ask more questions because there is clearly something wrong,"

"It wouldn't matter because you wouldn't believe me anyway. Not when it comes to her,"

"Come to who? And believe what?"

"Your sister,"

"My sister?" Now I wanted to know what it was. Something about my sister was bothering him. I closed my textbook and turned to face him, showing that I did indeed care. Whether it was about my sister or not I still wanted to know. I didn't want him to feel like I wouldn't listen to him just because of my sister. He sighed and turned the tv off to face me.

"Promise you won't be too harsh on her if you speak to her?" My brows furrowed and I nodded. What was he gonna say that would make me want to be harsh towards Morana? "You know how I told you I was gonna go visit a friend because her grandmother died and she was having a hard time?"

I nodded, recalling the day he told me that. Jenna Luis was who he had been referring to. I've seen him speak to her a couple of times, along with Erin Lousey. She seemed to be good friends with Erin especially after Sydney died. Jenna was one of the many people to help him in his grief.

"Well, I found out yesterday that she died. She was murdered in her house. The day I went to visit her, Morana and her partner were there. I guess they were watching the neighborhood but it seemed as though they were accusing me of spying on her or watching her. She died the day after that. Morana's partner came to my house and asked for me to come to the station with her..." he paused, rolling his eyes. Annoyance was clear as day and I knew this story was only gonna get worse.

"Your sister called it a questioning but it felt more like an interrogation. Her partner non discreetly was saying they suspected me of killing Jenna. I had told them I had nothing to do with that but Morana said she didn't believe that I was only there to console her. I never did go and speak to her, I left after they approached me, accusing me of being a peeping tom. Then they accused me of her murder. It soured my mood so I didn't end up going to my meeting. I rescheduled it for tomorrow,"

I couldn't believe my ears. I couldn't believe Morana would do something like that. I promised Jace she wasn't going to be too harsh on Morana but this was just outrageous. I understood that it would probably take time for Morana to warm up to Jace. This, on the other hand, was just crazy. "I'm gonna talk to her, like right now because that's not okay. I'm sorry, did you say Chaset went to your house?" I hadn't even registered that until now.

I packed my things and got ready to walk out the door but Jace stopped me. "Hey, don't be too harsh on her." I simply nodded and left out the door making my way to my car. I was fuming as I drove to my sister's precinct. I couldn't believe Morana would do that and Chaset coming to Jace's house was a violation. If they didn't think he did it, they wouldn't have been so urgent about getting him there.

When I parked outside of the precinct I stormed in, my eyes scanning the room looking for my sister. I spotted her talking to another detective and walked over to her. When Morana noticed me she smiled at me and was ready to greet me. I glared at her and held my hand up stopping her from hugging me.

"You seem upset. What happened?"

"You interrogated Jace?" I questioned flat out. I didn't want to beat around the bush. My glare deepened and Morana's eyebrows furrowed in confusion as her head tilted to the side a little.

"We brought him in for questioning?" she was confused as to where all of this hostility was coming from.

"Brought him in for questioning? Did you call or did Chaset show up at his front doorstep?" my questions alluded to the fact that I already knew the answer.

"Chaset went and got him. May what is all this about?"

I shook my head, my anger rolling off me in waves. "You see nothing wrong with that. First, you follow him, then you accuse him of murder,"

"Follow him? Accuse him of murder? May, what is happening here? We didn't follow hi-" she paused as realization dawned on her and everything I spoke about came back to her.

"What can't speak for yourself? You seemed to be able to speak pretty well when you were accusing my boyfriend of murder and telling him you didn't believe that he just wanted to console his friend,"

"You knew he was going to visit Jenna?"

"Yeah, I knew. I saw him speak to Jenna countless times. Along with Erin Lousey, so you wanna interrogate people go and speak to Erin, he and Jenna seemed pretty close, maybe he's your murderer,"

"May, I need you to calm down. It's honestly not what you think it is. Did I believe Jace was actually going to console Jenna, no I didn't. But I never accused him of murder. I just brought him in to explore all options. If we thought he murdered Jenna he wouldn't have walked out of the station,"

"Oh so are you doing the same for Jenna's friends? Erin Lousey? Are you exploring all options with them?"

"Seriously? Of course, we questioned them. Why wou-"

"Did you bring them into the station? No? You are unbelievable." Before she could say anything else I stormed away and out of the precinct. Leaving Morana standing there. I couldn't believe her.