18. Morana Barnes

September 12th, 2022 10:00 pm

Suspicious:

I was sitting in the patrol car while eating some food with Chaset watching the quiet neighborhood. Some girls in the area said they'd been seeing a man snooping around. These ladies were a bit older, I would say around their early 50s, but so they can feel safe Chaset and I decided to watch the neighborhood. "I haven't had Taco Bell in so long. I forgot how good their burritos are," Chaset said, taking another bite.

I went to El Pollo Loco and got a Classic Tostada Salad with sweet tea for a drink. I looked up from putting a spoonful of food in my mouth and frowned slightly. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary here. "How'd dinner with your family go?" Chaset asked grabbing another burrito. I glanced at Chaset and took another bite before sucking in a deep breath. "It honestly didn't go that bad. Everything was pretty good actually,"

"Really? I'm kinda shocked. The last dinner you told me about, you couldn't stop talking about the weird feeling you felt seeing Jace. As I recall you said he looked familiar," Chaset said, a small chuckle leaving her.

"Don't get me wrong I still get that feeling of something being off but he seemed pretty cool. Playing monopoly with him was fun, he asked a couple of questions about my job and seemed genuinely interested. He doesn't seem like a bad guy there's just....I don't know. There's just a feeling I can't shake when I see him. I do feel like I've seen him before but I can't pinpoint where," I said looking at her.

"Do you think it's because your sister seems super serious about him? Like they might be together for over twenty-five years, have tons of children, and live happily ever after?" Chaset asked taking another bite out of her burrito while trying not to laugh.

"Seriously?" I questioned slightly glaring at Chaset. The more I thought about it the more I realized Chaset could be potentially right. May had never been serious enough about a guy to introduce them to our parents. That was a sure sign of seriousness.

Meeting someone's parents is beyond important in a relationship and from there you could potentially be a person they remember forever, even if your relationship goes sour. "Maybe you're right. Maybe I'm just being overprotective. But I'm not the only one that gets a weird vibe around him. My dad does too. It didn't seem like he was too fond of Jace,"

"Morana," Chaset said raising a perfectly arched eyebrow. "He's your dad. Of course, he's not gonna like his daughter bringing home guys. In fact, it's literally in the father's handbook, fathers are supposed to dislike their daughter's boyfriend, it's like putting them through a test,"

"I don't know Chaset. But I'm gonna try to let it go, I don't want May to think I dislike him because I know how she'll get,"

"That's the best course of action. Maybe Jace will prove himself worthy and that bad feeling of yours will go away"

"Maybe, we'll just have to wait and see,"

"Hey Barnes-" Chaset turned to me and looked at the expression on my face. My eyes were slightly squinted and Chaset turned to try and pinpoint what I was looking at.

"Chaset,"

"Yep." Chaset said quickly unbuckling her seatbelt as we got out of the car our hands on our guns prepared for anything. We walked towards the guy and just watched as he stared up at the house. It seemed as if he was debating on whether or not he should approach the house. We looked at the window which revealed that whoever was inside was still awake because the lights were on. We could see the silhouette of a woman moving around.

The guy turned around and was about to walk away when he saw us. We stared at him our faces holding glares. The pause in his movements showed how little he paid attention to his surroundings and how nervous he was. If he's not doing anything remotely illegal then he shouldn't be nervous. Maybe he was just scared of the police in general or maybe he was planning something that could quite possibly land him in jail. Looks like we'll find out.