Diamond and Ruby Part 1

Diamond sat quietly watching the campfire from his hideout as he rubbed Ruby's ears. The deer seemed to be dozing, making Diamond frown. He hadn't seen a tamed beast like that anywhere and worried it might hurt Ruby if they startled it.

Though Ruby was more interested in the stone creature chatting away with the other two. Diamond smiled, rubbing the eager hound's snout.

He pulled out his book reading the notes. It seemed like Adam's wedding went off all right as Pearl filled them in from the back of the room. Emerald and Opal were cracking jokes as they enjoyed their own campfire somewhere in the woods between Diamond and Trayson.

They were on their way to join Diamond as they captured the girl for Adam. Diamond snickered as his brothers joked over the young princes' wedding. Emerald whined when he lost the bet to Opal when Ivy didn't run away. Diamond sighed, silently wishing the poor girl luck.

Laughter pulled Diamond's gaze back to the fire as the target giggled with the stone cat. The strange man rolled his eyes as he stirred the logs. It seemed they were getting ready to bed down, which was the perfect time to move. Diamond signaled to Ruby as the hound got to her feet. They shifted around in the shadows, waiting for their moment.

* * * * * * *

Raven stirred as something caused her to sway. She cracked her eyes open to frown at the metal bars. She sat up groggily frowning at the dirt walls outside of her cage. She glanced around the dim space, a single torch lighting the corners of the rough underground.

It looked like how Raven might imagine a rabbit burrow, bare and earthy. A hint of familiar herbs on the air. Something her mother used in creating sleep remedies. So, that's how they moved her without her waking up.

Raven gasped, feeling for the chain that sat concealed. The Amulets warmed softly in comfort making her sigh in relief. She frowned when she noticed Seril was no longer with her, but neither were her comrades.

"Hello?" Raven called out uneasily, moving to the side of the cage. It wasn't well made, looking like it had been put together in haste. She gingerly touched the bars, gasping surprised when it fell out of its slot.

"Yeah, it's not my greatest work, but I wasn't too worried about you killing me." A voice called out softly making Raven glance around a second time. A red beast shifted in the corner making Raven frown at the child beside it. The creature looked like a thing from her nightmares, tentacles dancing about wildly on its eyeless snout. "Your friends are looking for you." The child grumbled making Raven sigh.

"You obviously kidnapped me for a reason with no thought to permanent capture, what is it you want?" Raven asked, slightly annoyed. She was trying to hide her fear and unease.

She waved the bar, realizing that it wasn't solid metal, but a twig covered in a metal like substance. The boy got to his feet dusting off his pants. The hound growled at the entryway, lit by the small flame on the torch. Something growled back as the fire danced along the smooth white surface of the stone cat.

"I found Raven!" Tristan shouted back down the way he had come. "Give her back you little brat, or I'll tell on your mommy." Tristan threatened. The boy paused, growling annoyed making Raven blush.

"Um, Tristan. I don't think he is a kid." Raven muttered at him. Now that the man was standing, he had a certain air about him. One that came with experience like Hank.

"Damn straight I am not! Call me a brat again, you damn lazy infant!" The man growled pissed as his hound echoed his anger. Tristan paused confused as he inched his way towards Raven.