Now and Forever

Jack Skellington sleeps like Hell that night.

His mind is overwhelmed. He tosses and turns several times, unable to hush his brain. He stops when Sally stirs from all the movement. He lulls her back to sleep by quietly singing in her ear, brushing her hair and stroking her side. He makes sure she's asleep before he slips out - moving to open a nearby window. It's still raining outside, with occasional rumbles of thunder in the distance. The smell of moisture fills the room as the raindrops replace the silence.

He rests himself on the window sill, staring outside and sighing to himself.

He killed Oogie Boogie. With no remorse to his actions. It was the most painful way imaginable - burning his old friend to death and stomping the last of his bugs as he cried for mercy. All this done in minutes... bringing an end to the boogeyman like he never existed to begin with. Jack feels relieved...but he's also conflicted from his actions.

He's moved on from the past. From the violence and unnecessary taunting. He hasn't killed anyone since - not in the cruel, morbid ways of Oogie's old routines. Not until...now. He could only see red at that moment, feeling the familiar burning in his bones...killing Boogie felt right. Like it's been coming for a long time. And that's what perturbs him the most.

He watches his girlfriend sleeping. She's safe. Because he did what he had to. He's always going to be worried. The last thing he wants is to be separated again - he can't live through it a second time. He wouldn't know what to do with himself.

He retreats to the bed and spoons his ragdoll closely, nestling his skull in her red hair. He grips her small hands gently, careful not to disturb her sleep. If he's going to ask her to be his bride...then he's determined to change. For Sally.

—-

Sally prepares for their evening upstairs, picking out a dress to wear for the night. Jack sets the dining table in the meantime - cleaning up the mess prior and trying to replicate the sight from before. A few plates were shattered as well as a couple of glasses...but they're nothing he can't replace. He sets the tablecloth and decorates the plates with rose petals while lighting the candelabra. As he's placing down a bottle of wine, he notices two small figures entering the room with their heads bowed. Zero and Ophelia sit a foot away from him, avoiding eye contact. He notices their sorrowful looks and pats their heads.

"I'm not mad anymore. In fact, I want to thank you two for interrupting me when you did."

They look relieved. Zero flies forward and bites one of the rose petals off, dropping it gently on the table. The skeleton chuckles when they spread them around, helping in any way they can. He heads to the gramophone and ensures his favorite vinyl record hasn't been damaged. Footsteps sound from the stairs. He sets the needle in place and makes sure everything is ready just in time.

Sally walks in the room and her eyes widen. They settle on her beloved and their pets before moving to the romantic scenery before them. Music is playing in the background, the gentle melody blessing her ears as she steps forward. She's wearing a black-and-red dress, with subtle details of cobwebs and spiders on its design. He can't help the affectionate smile on his face, remembering how beautiful she is.

She gasps in delight. "Jack-! What is all this?"

"I thought we could have something special! A nice dinner after everything that's happened..."

He holds her chair out politely. She sits and bats her eyelashes as she's pushed in. Zero floats down and drops a napkin into her lap. She thanks him with a pet on his transparent body. Jack heads into the kitchen to fetch their food while she gets situated. Her charcoal eyes can't help admiring every detail she sees, from how neat the room is set to the small rose petals littered around her serving. Every notion done with care and love by his hands...