A Planned Surprise

Sally prepares for an important trip, slipping into her patchwork dress. She avoids wearing it nowadays, as it reminds her of the old treatment she received back at Finklestein's. Where she was forced sew together leftover fabrics and scraps to make clothing...Looking at it in her mirror makes her feel unpleasant. But it's the best thing to wear, if she's going somewhere that can dirty her clothing. She'd rather be in this.

She makes room in her basket that will hopefully be filled by the end of the day. By the time she's ready, Jack is idling around in his den. He looks somewhat anxious, pacing around in a small line in thought. He stops once she comes into the room and relaxes when they meet at the door. She leans on her tiptoes for a kiss. He receives the message and bends down to leave one on her lips.

"Are you leaving now?" He asks.

"Yes. I'm going to find the Hanging Tree and ask if he'd like to come."

He frowns. "I doubt anything will happen, but-"

"-Jack." Her voice stops his thoughts. She rubs his arm soothingly. "It's sweet of you to worry. I promise I'll be fine."

His posture softens. How can he not, after all they've been through? "-If you find anything that needs my attention, I'll be right in the Town Hall. You're free to come and get me."

She leans forward one last time to peck his cheek. She leaves the mansion, climbing down the stairs and waving to her beloved as she passes through the gates. He watches her figure disappear into town without a word, then closes the door behind him

----

Sally eventually realizes she has no clue where her friend is. She doesn't exactly know where anyone here lives, aside from the Doctor and Jack. After asking nearby townsfolk for directions, she's brought to the town's park on the residential hill. It's a delightful part of town with dead grass and mud puddles, along with small iron maidens, saws, and swings for the children to play with. She finds the Hanging Tree sitting on a bench, enjoying the scenery and tossing some crumbs to nearby crows. When she walks into his line of sight, he looks up in delight.

"Sally!" He exclaims, his sharpened grin widening. "How awful to see you!"

"Hello, Hanging Tree." She ducks to greet the skeletons on his branches. "-To you as well."

They tilt their skulls and wave right back at her. He scoots over on the wood to let her sit down. She brushes her hair aside and looks at their surroundings. She's never seen a park before until now. When she used to sneak out of the Doctor's tower, she never got far enough to reach something like this. It's a beautiful day out - clouds currently gathering in the sky above them. The children laugh as they run around, and the sound is like music to Sally's cloth ears.