17. Needle and Thread

Y/N wasn't sure why, but she knew something was wrong. When she awoke in the middle of the night, being greeted by the mice, like always. She felt...afraid.

Like the world had turned upside down. Like something or someone was missing. This could have just been her paranoia, but it was such a strong feeling, she knew deep down that this wasn't the case, even if she chose to ignore it.

Y/N stood from her bed, stretching and listening in satisfaction as her back popped, breaking the deafening silence of her quiet room.

She threw on her bath rob and slid into her slippers, before walking out of her room and down the hallway to the small door.

The routine had become so normal for her at this point, despite only doing it for a short time. She wasn't sure if she'd tell the Other Coraline and Wybie about the fight. She had thought about it, but began to overthink and wasn't sure it was the best idea now.

The other Coraline and Wybie would probably start bragging about how they were right. They'd say 'we told you we were better' or 'if only you had listened to us'.

And, if Y/N was being perfectly honest with herself, she couldn't deal with that. Her mind definitely hadn't been in the right spot ever since the fight and all she really needed was comfort. She didn't need people telling her 'I told you so'. Especially, button-eyed people.

But, nonetheless, she climbed through the slinky-like, purple and blue portal, into the other world. But, once again, something was wrong. Something different this time.

The path was more wobbly than usual and some of the color seemed to have been drained from it. It wasn't that much color, but it was enough to raise worry inside the teen girl.

In fact, Y/N would have never noticed it if she hadn't been purposefully taking her time with crawling. She was going slow on purpose, dreading, but also craving the other world and the other people in it. But someone else was craving her too, because she'd finally be able to take what she failed to obtain the last time.

The Other Mother allowed an amused grin to form on her face, as she replayed the murderous scene in her head. It had worked, she was right, all along. Coraline and Wybie were obsessed and they were willing to go to extreme measures for Y/N.

She felt no remorse for the boy they called Sorren, she was happy to see another human dead. She was also happy that now she'd be able to take Y/N's soul, which is what she wanted, all along.

She had gotten her answer, Coraline and Wybie were insane and were murderers, now. So, keeping Y/N around, was ultimately useless. Besides, keeping her around would only be more risk to the other mother. Because, despite the fight Y/N had with Coraline and Wybie, Y/N would have eventually told them about the other world.

There was still a thought that troubled the other mother, though. How was she supposed to get Y/N to say 'yes' to the buttons? Coraline's parents were awful to her and her life was terrible, in her eyes, but she still said 'no' to the buttons.

Y/N's parents were loving and attentive to her, and the only bad thing happening to her, was the mess with Coraline and Wybie. So, would Y/N actually say 'yes' to sewing the buttons? The other mother didn't think so. Well, that meant she'd have to make her world even better. Have things in the other world that she doesn't have in her world.

***

Y/N jumped a bit when she finally reached the other world and saw the other Wybie waiting right in front of the portal. Other Wybie seemed to light up with enthusiasm when he made eye contact with the teen girl.

He tackled her in a hug, making Y/N lose her balance and topple over. But that didn't stop his hug, he missed her too much. He was ecstatic to see her.