C2

"I don't like this dress, Jennie...It looks weird on me." Song Areum frowned, running a tired hand through her hair. There were bags beneath her eyes from the endless nights of tossing in her bed and never falling asleep.

Ever since she became the laughing-stock of Seoul, her confidence was at its limits. The haughty twinkle in her eyes from being engaged to Choi Soobin had vanished long ago.

From losing everything in just the single span of one night, her diva attitude, prideful smirks, and confident struts were all gone. Before the fall of the legendary Song Areum, she was known to be the top socialite of Seoul. The women always crowded around her, in hopes of currying favors with the rumored Mrs. Choi.

Whatever she wore, ate, and did, everyone copied after her. She was the trendsetter, the single woman that every socialite aspired to be.

Her parents swore they loved her. Her friends overly complimented her. The people always tried to befriend her. That all ended when Choi Soobin blacklisted and tossed her aside. But after two long and life-changing years, Song Areum didn't blame them. She finally understood how much of a horrible woman she was.

She turned women against women, used people like they were a pawn in her little game of chess, insulted girls to tears, and tried to sabotage the innocent Kim Chungha. Most would say she got what she deserved, but one never saw the truth behind the prideful and spoiled heiress.

No one saw how much Song Areum broke down at night, drinking wine all alone in a cold, empty, room until her tears lulled her to sleep. No one saw that broken child reaching for anything that showed her love.

Song Areum was only able to snap back into reality when Park Jennie roughly shook her. "Areum, I hope you're not daydreaming again!" Park Jennie huffed.

She was curling Song Areum's hair in hopes of making her presentable.

"I wasn't..." Song Areum sheepishly lied.

Park Jennie rolled her eyes. "Sure, and I'm the ugliest girl this world has seen." Park Jennie resorted with her usual sarcasm.

Song Areum chuckled. "Don't be so dramatic, Jennie."

"I'm supposed to be a diva, it's my job to be overly dramatic." Park Jennie laughed, wrapping strands of Song Areum's silky hair over the curling iron. "Besides, my dear. You look fabulous, don't doubt yourself anymore." She smiled, placing her hand onto Song Areum's shoulder.

"Okay..." Song Areum trailed off, hugging her stomach the way she always did. It made her feel safe. It had been a bad habit of hers after the past two, long, rough years of torment.

Park Jennie's eyes softened. When Song Areum had experienced her worst downfall, Park Jennie was at the peak of her career. Her manager and family forced her to work hard and she was often traveling around the world.

She didn't hear about what happened to Song Areum until she had come back two years later. Because she was rarely in the country and was frequently traveling from one country to the other, she barely had time to chat with Song Areum.

Song Areum didn't say anything about her downfall. When Park Jennie came back, she expected a wedding invitation on her hands, instead, she got the shell of the cheerful woman she used to know.

After a while of doing Song Areum's hair, Park Jennie finally spoke up again. "It'll be fun today. I reserved a seat at your favorite restaurant, Mingles."

Mingles was a very popular and posh restaurant that was rated five Michelin stars a few months after it opened. It was extremely hard to make reservations there; the restaurant never batted an eye to A-List celebrities, powerful politicians, or wealthy socialites. However, the Parks were able to gain easy entrance. The owner had been good friends with Park Jennie's father and had permitted them unlimited entry at the window with the best view.