C77

"Why are you staring at me like that?" Park Jennie groaned. Curiosity was written all over Song Areum’s face in bold, red letters. She didn’t like that look.

"My sweet Jennie, I think it’s storytime." Song Areum patted the space beside her. Park Jennie’s fiery glare could burn a hole through the pure linen fabric. She sniffed, was that burnt cloth she smelled?

"Storytime about what?" Park Jennie tried to stall as much as possible. She took tiny steps to Song Areum. A minute passed and she had not crossed a meter yet.

Song Areum impatiently climbed out of the bed and grabbed Park Jennie’s wrist. Then she hauled the young woman onto it. "Story about you and the assassin!" She forced her Jennie to sit down on the bed.

"How about we talk about something else? Like how the blind date went—"

"I saw how the blind date went. You guys seemed genuinely happy and there was no bad blood. What else do I need to know?" Song Areum shrugged. "Seeing as Huo Qiudong has not hunted me down for it, I can safely assume he was not unhappy with the arrangements."

"Really? He didn’t seem unhappy?"

"If you’re referring to the private room’s first reaction, he was unhappy, but after I left, he seemed pretty...normal. If you’re referring to the present, my words were a mere guess. All of the text he has sent me was about work-related stuff. So, we can infer that he was not upset." Song Areum explained. She clasped her hands together, "Alright. I answered your question. Now, it’s time for you to tell me about Kim Je-Ha and you."

Park Jennie tried to divert the topic again, "Are you and Park Jimin married? Did you guys elope in secret? I heard the way you guys addressed each other."

Song Areum completely forgot about keeping this a secret from Park Jennie. Nervously, she began to twirl the rings on her right hand. Naturally, Park Jennie’s eyes dropped down before turning around.

"A-are those wedding rings?! So you guys did get married!" Park Jennie slapped a hand over her gaping mouth. She didn’t want flies to come in. "Who else knows about this? What about my parents and grandfather? Why didn’t you tell me about this?!" She shot questions faster than a gun could release bullets.

"A small handful of people, including my grandfather. And now, you too. " Song Areum breathed in through her nose and released a heavy sigh. "I didn’t want to tell you because I was worried you might tell your parents."

Park Jennie feigned an offended expression. She dramatically placed a hand to her heart and pretended she was taken aback by the words. "Why, I would never—"

"Jennie! I’m serious. You can’t tell them yet. Not until everything is settled and I finally gain everyone’s approval myself!" Song Areum grabbed Jennie’s shoulders. She didn’t expect to see it had gotten firmer, stronger, and more secure. Wow, it seems the training paid off!

Park Jennie nodded her head like a broken bobble-doll [1]. She made a gesture of sealing her lips and then tossing the imaginary key over her shoulders. "I swear I won’t tell anyone. You’ve kept all of my secrets. It’s my turn now to keep yours."

Song Areum’s shoulder sagged in relief. The angst in her eyes dispelled and she could finally breathe properly again. "Alright, now that we have gotten the marriage talk over with, will you finally tell me the story about Kim Je-Ha?"

Park Jennie played with the fabric of the blanket. She wrinkled her nose at the boring burgundy color of the deluxe blanket. White and burgundy. How boring. Another splash of color, perhaps something white and unexpected, would really liven this place up. "Do I have to?"