C20

Sky Arc Complex.

Song Kang Ho blankly stared at the empty, black monitor. His face was stony and hard to read even for his wife and daughter.

Moon Chae Won thought to herself, was this where her daughter got her genes from? People always compared Song Areum to her father. Stoic face, aloof personality, and determined eyes, they shared the same expressions that always masked their bad temper.

Who knew she would inherit the worst attributes of her parents? From her mother's alcoholic tendencies to her father's scheming ways. Unlike her little sister who mirrored her mother's beauty and exhibits her father's confidence, she didn't inherit anything good.

Moon Chae Won couldn't handle her husband's blank face anymore. He was so hard to read at times, especially at this moment where she was scared he might cause another scene. She leaned closer to him and asked, "What are you thinking about?"

"Nothing." He immediately replied, averting her gaze to stare at the entrance of the building.

Moon Chae Won frowned at his cold-shoulder, before stubbornly crossing her arms and deciding to ignore him as well.

Song Ara understood her father's expression. To others, it looked as if she got her parents' doting without any effort. But that was a lie.

At a young age, she had quickly realized the difference in treatment between her and her sister. Even with that disparity, their childhood had been filled with sweet stolen moments of sisterhood.

Her award-winning pianist Song Areum sister doted on her by teaching her how to play the piano. With both of them excelling in the same instrument, she originally thought that their parents' affections would now be balanced.

Unfortunately, it was all wishful thinking. She couldn't help but lock herself in her room and cry for days when all they did was compare them. When Song Areum had ceased to pursue fame as a pianist and had started training to become the future matriarch of the Choi household, their relationship also got strained.

Song Ara didn't know the real reason why her older sister stopped pursuing the piano, despite the fact that it was one of the few things that made her very happy. She didn't know that Areum had occasionally heard her cry in her room for missing a key and not being as good as her older sister.

Deep down, she harbored a dark hatred for Song Areum. The misunderstanding between them was strong, but even if the truth was revealed, Ara would've never forgiven her older sister.

Without the warmth of her sister, she had to grow up navigating her parents' emotions. It was all the timing of knowing what to say and when to say it. From the years of experience, she has honed the skill to a very high level of manipulation. She knew by successfully becoming a pianist that followed both her mother and father's wishes, they would completely adore her.

Given the fact that she always bragged and showcased her parent's affections in front of Areum who rarely got any of it, the distance between her and her older sister had grown further apart.

Studying her parent's emotions at a very young age, she was quick to pick up their current mood. Right now, she could see the storm brewing within her father. She knew he didn't want to cause a further embarrassing scene, but that didn't suppress his wish to punish Song Areum for this humiliation.

Song Ara glanced at the elevator door that looked so close, yet was so far away. She stared at the intricate metal work on the elevator and marveled at the designer's keen eye for details.

Sometimes, Song Ara would wonder if Areum did not stop playing the piano, or if Areum did not teach her, would she have been forced into a music career? There was a point in time where Song Ara wanted to be an architect...but Ara knew that was an impossible dream.