C92

Song Areum stood from the chair, bowed her head and then walked off the stage without a second glance towards the black piano. As much as she had despised her younger sister, she was never inclined to outshine her in terms of artistic abilities.

Nothing broke Song Ara more than the realization that everything her life was built upon was fake. She was a prodigy, but how far could this title take her? She had always gloated and basked in her parent’s affections. As the blinding gold or crystal trophies forged her throne in the music world, she forgot the real reason she played the piano —— because her parents wanted her to. They honed her skill, thinking it was the absolute best decision they have ever made in their life.

Yet, here she stood, numbed to the core from their choices. All the strings and titles attached to Song Ara’s identity were the piano. It was thrust into her arms at a young age and her opinions were unfavorably ignored.

A wave of remorse slammed her when she remembered the first time she was introduced to the piano. Running from her needy parents, she had found herself in front of a hauntingly large door. It was painted pearl white with swirling wood.

Curious and mesmerized by the beautiful sound resonating from the room, Song Ara had curiously wandered inside. The sound of Song Areum’s fingers upon the piano was the most attractive thing to have ever graced Song Ara’s ears. Her entire world was transformed by the smallest minute or so of Song Areum’s unforced notes. She played the piano because she wanted to. She played the piano because it was her passion. There were no puppet strings attached to her hand, forcing her to play. It was all with the will of her heart.

Song Ara didn’t have the same luxury. Her parents invested too much love, care, and affection into her to realize the piano wasn’t her passion.

"Areum..." Song Ara’s pleading voice sounded foreign to her. "Unnie..." For once, she meant it. Her eyes turned glassy with an unleashed river of tears. A knot formed in her throat, turning her tongue-tied. Her tiny shoulders trembled more than the horrific memories of her kidnapping. She sniffled as tiny needles jabbed at her heart. A heavy pressure weighted upon her chest.

Song Ara could see Song Areum approaching her. "Unnie, I’m sorry—"

Song Areum walked past Song Ara as if she didn’t see or hear a single thing. Not once did she blink or falter. Not once did she glance at Song Ara.

Song Ara swirled around, tears slipping from her quivering eyes. The small needles became knives, digging themselves deeper and deeper into her. Painfully, she collapsed onto her knees, hugging her body. She had lost the only person who genuinely cared for her, without strings attached.

- - - - -

Go Sae-ron, like many people in the crowd, was emotionally affected by the piano piece. She was drawn to the mesmerizing notes and nothing could tear her eyes away from Song Areum. It was a miracle that she was able to slip away for the briefest second when Song Areum was walking down the stage. She had returned with a box at hand.

Park Jimin remained where he was standing. His hands were resting in his pockets. He was the only person here who didn’t seem pained by the piece. Song Areum was able to see past his emotionless facade. He was deeply touched by her playing.

When she was less than a meter away, his posture straightened for her. The people parted for her. Just the tiny stomp of her footsteps was enough to make everyone tremble in their shoes.