Chapter 12: Believe in Tooth

After they looked around for any sign of Pitch, Bunny went over to Cupid.

"Cu," he called, she looked at him, then he said, "Look, I didn't get to apologize about what happened back at the pole. Jack just gets under my skin and I wasn't thinking that what I was saying would hurt you and I'm sorry for that."

Cupid smiled and gave him a sisterly hug, which he returned.

"Don't worry about it, Thumper. Families have their moments, so we're good," she told him, making him smile.

When they parted, Bunny went to talk to North while she joined Jack to talk with Tooth.

"Okay, all right, I admit it. You were right about Pitch," Bunny said.

"I'm sorry about the fairies," Jack apologized.

"You should have seen them. They put up such a fight," Tooth smiled sadly.

"No doubt," Cupid nodded as Baby Tooth landed on her shoulder.

"Why would Pitch take the teeth?" Jack asked.

"It's not the teeth he wanted. It's the memories inside them," Tooth answered.

"What do you mean?" he wondered.

"That's why we collect the teeth, Jack. They hold the most important memories of childhood. My fairies and I watch over them. And when someone needs to remember what's important, we help them," Tooth explained as she showed them a painting on the side of a hill by the creek then added, "We had everyone's here. Yours and Cupid's, too."

"Our memories?" Jack and Cupid asked.

"From when you were young. Before you became Jack Frost and Cupid," Tooth told them.

"But I wasn't anyone before I was Jack Frost," Jack told her.

"Same with me being Cupid," Cupid added.

"Of course you were. We were all someone before we were chosen," Tooth added.

Their eyes widened before whispering, "What?"

"You should have seen Bunny," North laughed.

"Hey, I told you never to mention that!" Bunny warned.

"The night at the pond, I just...I assumed..." Jack breathed.

"The arrow...in my chest...it had to be...," Cupid did the same.

"Are you saying...Are you saying we had lives before that, with homes and families?" Jack asked excitedly.

"You two really don't remember?" Tooth wondered.

"I know we want to," Cupid answered.

"All these years, the answers were right here. If we find our memories, then I'll know why I'm here and Cupid will know exactly why she should be a Guardian. You have to show us!" Jack said and started flying off while pulling Cupid along.

"I can't, guys. Pitch has them," Tooth said.

They stopped then he declared "Then we have to get them back!"

"But how? We don't know where he is," Cupid pointed out.

Before Tooth could say anything, some feathers fell off of her.

"Oh, no. The children! We're too late!" Tooth replied as she saw the painting turn to dust.

"No! No! No such thing as too late!" North remarked.

They all started trying to think of something.

"Wait, wait, wait, wait! Idea!" North said, pointing his sword at Bunny, laughed, then decided, "We will collect the teeth."

"What?" Tooth asked.

"We get teeth, children keep believing in you!" North replied.

"We're talking seven continents and millions of kids!" Tooth pointed out.

"You do remember who you're talking to, right?" Cupid reminded.

"Exactly. You know how many toys I deliver in one night?" North stated.

"And eggs I hide in one day?" Bunny added.

"And, Jack and Cupid, if you help us, we will get you your memories," North said.

They all looked to each other before deciding.

"I'm in," Jack nodded.

"Let's do it," Cupid smiled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N Time to collect the teeth, one of my favorite parts of the movie!