Chapter Seven: The Fall

James King was found in deep sleep in his arm chair the next morning. Ian wandered into the smoking chamber softly. He noticed the tipped cup on the desk. Pour sprinkled about the smooth surface. Messages from Belron wrinkled and torn. The son shook his head at the father. The Master Guardian's head titled to the left, revealing his ailing face. Ian bent over the desk quietly. His hands avoiding the crisp pages. The skin seemed to split where the infected met healthy flesh. From his forehead, down his face and onward it seemed the same. The sight gave Ian flashes of the past. He looked away, closing his brown eyes and swallowing heavily. In his frustration he shook off his emotion. "Father!" His loud voice startling his father out of his deep sleep. James quickly sat forward. His palms slammed on the desk, smacking pour in several directions. Ian chuckled at his intoxicated father. "Long night, James?"

            "It has been a long lifetime." James mumbled, his mind a haze. The bright sunlight shined through the tall windows and bounced off the reflective stone floors. The morning light a fire to his eyes. Ian bent over to pick James King's eye patch off the table top. The leather strap sticky from the pour.

            "The Generals are gathering now, James." Ian informed him coldly. James King stood slowly with a heavy sigh. His frail body ached in the early morning and the pour failed to subdue the pain.

            "I shall be there momentarily." He told his son quietly.

            Ian left his father with an obnoxious laugh. The SafeGuard leader shuffled towards the water pail near the door. A SafeHaven maiden placed a soft cloth on the short shelf for him just moments before Ian entered. James cleaned his face with the clean water, wiping the sweat off his brow. Water dripped from his nose and chin into the bowl below, as he stared out the window to his left. He attempted to clear his mind but could not, knowing what was to come.

            Shawn sat outside the Generals' Grand Chambers on the long stone bench that line the short corridor behind the foyer stairs. The Grand Chambers concealed by large golden doors, had been a stranger to Shawn Thyume. An image of a fierce Guardian stood guard on each door, a spear in one hand and a shield in the other. Shawn's eyes stayed on the Guardian's eyes. Never had he actually dreamt of walking through these doors. He has seen many Guardians go in for hearings with the Generals and return without the title. His eager body refused to sit still. He stood and began pacing back and forth near the doors. Passing Guardians peered down the long hallway. He could hear them whisper his name. The embarrassment felt among all in SafeHaven. He sat a failure.

            Alex Dodgeson missed his morning assignments to be at Shawn's side. Pura pleaded to Alex to complete his morning assignments but Alex's stubbornness drove him away. "What are you doing?" Shawn asked, enraged. Alex shrugged, speechless. "You are missing the morning assignments. Go!"

            Alex refused. "I cannot do that." Shawn sighed, now his apprentice is disobedient. "I can see the pain in your eyes, Mr. Thyume. You cannot do this alone, sir."

            "Alex, please. I cannot have an insubordinate apprentice now." Shawn shook his head and groaned. "I am at risk of losing my rank and your apprenticeship." Alex sat back on the bench in disbelief. He knew the ramifications of losing rank as a Guardian. The punishments would avalanche on Alex too. Many more years would pass before Alex could became a Guardian. "Go to the Apprentice Hall, Alex." He stood up slowly, looking back at Shawn before walking away. "Alex!"

            "Sir?" Shawn smiled through his fear and anger.

            "Thank you for coming." Alex flashed a smile. "Alex!" The apprentice spun around quickly, frightened. "If something negative comes from this. Be prepared to leave." The doors behind Shawn opened.