Chapter Two: Begin the Journey

Before Nicholas gathered any belongings for an assignment, he walked the long SafeHaven corridors to the Task Giver's window. Nicholas is already walking down one of the many staircases to the ground level before most slip out of bed. Passing paintings and portraits of past greats. The morning stroll proved quite relaxing and therapeutic for the usual stressed and anxious Nicholas Cheron. Shawn's partner has a constantly curious mind. It never settles on one outcome, there must be an alternative. Good or bad, there must be another. But as he questions the route that has not been taken yet, he is also evaluating steps already taken. Constantly questioning his own actions. SafeHaven's narrow corridors simple in design gave Nicholas ample time to fully awaken before the oceans of thoughts overtake him.

     Nicholas came to SafeHaven at a young age. He and his mother lost his father two days before, during a hunting trip in the north. Nicholas's father was caught between herds of wildebeests. The hunters tried to save him but the stampede was hard to maintain. Nicholas's father died during the return journey. His mother could not look at Nicholas without seeing her husband. She did what many other parents did and gave her child to the SafeGuard. The life James King could provide Nicholas would be much better than what his mother could give.

     Nicholas, young in years but wise between his ears. He knew why he was left at the red door of SafeHaven. Nicholas fondly remembers the meals he would share with his parents around the campfire, as his father retold stories of Gregory Thyume that had been told hundreds of times throughout Forrea. He knew that the life he knew is now gone. The pain of splitting with his mother was unbearable. Nicholas took that pain and focused it on his pre-trial to prove his worth to the SafeGuard Generals. The moment they accepted him; Nicholas kept his eyes on the future. When he was pared with the son of Gregory Thyume, he could only imagine how proud his father would be. A smile would come to Nicolas's face whenever Shawn's action resembled the heroic actions of his father, at that moment he would feel ever so closer to his father.

     The Task Giver Salla could be seen in the opening cleaning off the counter. The large echoing chamber behind her held every scroll for every Guardian on assignment and every assignment that has not been issued. The grumpy woman perked up as she saw Nicholas walking her way. "Welcome, Mr. Cheron!" Salla smiled through the wide window. Nicholas struggled to smile for her. "I saw your name on the scroll this morning and couldn't help but smile! You know you brighten my time here in SafeHaven?"

     "Good morning, Salla." Nicholas said as he leaned on the counter. He could see their paperwork behind Salla on the table. "The road has kept us apart far too long." Salla blushed and waved off Nicholas's flirtatious comment. "Sad that Shawn and I are sent so soon." Salla rolled her brown eyes at him.

     "I thought you two were granted leave!" Nicholas chuckled. Salla shook her head as she leaned over the counter. Her wrinkled face frowned. "That Thyume blood comes with some nasty side effects, eh?"

     "It was our choice to accept this assignment. James King asked us personally to assist." Salla nodded her head, knowing that a request from James King is more of a command.

     She turned around and grabbed the scroll with their names on it. "You, my broad friend, are off to the village of Gloria." Salla informed Nicholas. "My uncle lived there for a time." The town of , was a small settlement. It sat directly south of SafeHaven, on the edge of Torrance Lake. The farming town was held together simply because of its production of chicken meat and cattle. "Perhaps you will need a guide?" Salla grabbed the scroll and held it out for Nicholas to grab.

     "Sorry to say, I do believe Shawn and I have taken the road to Gloria once before." He chuckled until Salla refused to release the scroll. Their eyes met. Nicholas nervously chuckled again.