Chapter Eight: The Five Apprentices

The punishment given to Shawn rang throughout SafeHaven like a strong breeze in an open field. Whispers did not stop. Many Guardians formed their own reality of the truth behind Nicholas's Cheron's death before Shawn's hearing began. The truth became twisted and mangled by the ongoing gossip. Judgmental eyes accused Shawn of the murder. Even more accused Shawn of working alongside the Outlaw King. The notion sickened Alex Dodgeson. He knew his mentor would not allow Nicholas's death if he could have prevented it. There was no doubt in Alex's mind, Shawn Thyume is not in league with Calveron Ajax.

While Guardians and apprentices ate their mid-day meal, Alex went to his mentor's room in the north wing. The paintings of Guardian's watched him rush through the narrow corridors. Turn after Turn. The pressure bearing down on Shawn Thyume crushed its way to Alex. He came to Shawn's door, looking to his left and right before tapping with his knuckle.

"Sir." Alex shyly announced his presence. Alex could hear the cot shift as Shawn moved.

"Alex." Shawn's voice soft and defeated. Alex heard the door latch jingle as Shawn took hold.

Alex swallowed heavily. "May I enter?" Shawn heard Alex push on the door before he gave an answer. He gave his permission and the door quickly opened.

"What are you doing here, Alex?" Shawn watched as Alex took a seat on Nicholas's bed. Shawn stood staring at the strange sight of another person sitting on Nicholas's cot. He shook the thoughts away.

"I come to express my sorrow for your loss." He sighed and leaned forward. Shawn slowly sat on his cot, rubbing his thigh and knees. The cot creaking as Shawn shifted to get comfortable. "The lies about you frustrate me, sir." Alex grit his teeth together. "That is not who you are!" Shawn shrugged slightly. "You are Shawn Thyume, one of the most skilled and honorable Guardians to dress in these colors."

"What is the truth to you, Alex?" Shawn whispered. "I ask, only because the truth is all that matters. They can chit chat and gossip over their plates full of food. Let them doubt the truth. I know what is true and what is a lie. That is the only thing that matters." Alex sniffed; a bit confused. "As long as we are true to who we are, their words have no power over us."

"What do you plan to do next?" Shawn forgot he had warned Alex to prepare to leave. Shawn sighed, running his head over his shortly trimmed brown hair.

"I misspoke." Shawn stuttered quickly. "You are going to stay here." Alex sank into the bed. He cocked his head.

"Where will you be going?" Shawn had no answer to that question at the moment. He shall go wherever Calveron Ajax is. "I can help you, sir."

"You are no longer my apprentice, Alex." Shawn said, sharply. "You are no longer required to do as I say. Nor are you to speak to me"

"Sir, you brought me here." Alex reminded him. "I was alone and you found me! I owe you everything. No matter what your status is among the ranks of the SafeGuard!" Alex tossed his short dagger on the ground. "I will follow you wherever you go." Shawn released a small sigh with a smile.

"Your faith in me might be deadly." Shawn said, shaking his head. "I do not wish for you to share fates with Nick." He looked into his hands. "The same will happen to me."

"So be it. I shall die knowing I died for the right cause."

Shawn huffed as he sat forward, cupping his hands in front of his face. "We shall set forth and search for Calveron Ajax. With the help of Leyland, we shall track Ajax down and bring him to justice." Alex noticed an annoyed grimace flash across his face. Shawn turned to the door as it opened slowly without a knock. The door creaked to a stop.