Chapter Three: Apprentices and Masters

​SafeHaven stands as strong this day as the day it was built. The eight-story castle, large enough to hold every Guardian, apprentices and a large number of civilians. The official Guardians and Generals reside in the upper north wing of SafeHaven while the apprentices and visitors sleep in the south. The main floor built open as you walk in the arching front doors. The floors a reflective grey stone. Gold painted pillars lined the walkway to the main curving staircase. Gold and silver banners hung at the side of the large stairway with the Guardian crest at the bottom. A long silver rug ran from the bottom step to the doorway with gold trim. Sculptures of past Guardians placed between the pillars. Gregory Thyume's statue placed near the steps, with his final sword in his grasp.

Alex Dodgeson remembered his first time walking through the grand foyer. His young wide eyes took in the bright lights bouncing off the polished surfaces. Shawn brought Alex to SafeHaven five years ago. Alex was then young and naive. Still naive at times. He found life within SafeHaven quite difficult. His superiors only saw him as Shawn Thyume's student. His fellow apprentices ignored his skills and decided Alex's only skill was being a Thyume Apprentice. Every task and study the SafeGuard Generals assign the young Guardian proved them wrong. He is an individual who can stand his own ground no matter who his mentor is. James King has attempted to break this view of Alex, yet he fails. Alex is simply stuck in the Thyume void. Alex thinks of himself lucky to be working under a mighty bloodline. He welcomes the naysayers. Alex enjoys the glimpses of amazement after he proves them wrong. At times the whispers and mockers crawl into his skin and irritate him, but he does not allow them to effect his performances. When Alex notices the eyes of his superiors bearing down on him, his thoughts and worries vanish. He simply does what needs to be done to accomplish his tasks placed before him.

Alex takes to the patio behind SafeHaven early in the morning. The patio ran as long as SafeHaven itself, with a balcony above. Lush green gardens and water features brightened the grey surfaces. The SafeGuard groundskeepers tended to the gardens as he walked by. They plucked the dead leaves and peddles, applying repellant to the flowers. Cool winds off the Sparkling Lake blew through his long curling brown hair. He would remain outside until the apprentice assignments were given. The distant body of water glimmers in the mornings. He could feel his muscles relaxing with every deep breath his lakes take in.

His friend Pura approached from the south patio door. "Good morning, Alex!" Pura said, softly as she took a seat next to him. He smiled at her and returned the greeting. "Beautiful day." Pura's shoulder length blonde hair waved in the breeze.

"Agreed." He said, looking out at the water. The Skyview Mountain Range to the north of the water reflecting on the water's surface. Birds sand and flew above peacefully.

"Where is your mentor?" She asked. "Did he not return the day before?"

"He did. James King sent him off again." Pura shook her head.

"How do they expect you to pass the next Trial if he is always away?" She asked, with her hands on her lap.

"The work he does is more important than my personal goals." Alex's head dropped.

"If Shawn Thyume wasn't your mentor perhaps you would already be a Guardian." She said, smiling at him. "You are ready." He nodded, knowing he was. "You have a strong mind, Alex." She attempted to place a gentle hand on his forearm but the morning bell sounded. A man stood atop SafeGuard, beating the large brass bell, alerting the trainees. Her hand returned to her side.

"Duty calls." Alex laughed, as he helped her up. Pura felt his firm hand gripping hers and her heart fluttered.

They continued into SafeHaven and proceeded to the Apprentice Hall. Under the curving stairway, they ran into a newcomer. A young apprentice in just her first year at SafeHaven. A small girl with a long pony tail hanging behind her head came bouncing towards them. Ony was her name. A sweet young girl struggling through her first year in SafeHaven. Her mentor, Meredithla Wiggons has not received a positive remark from the Generals. Meredithla has tried her best to rid Ony of her sheepish demeanor but nothing has helped. SafeGuard prides itself on providing shelter and a home for those who lack either. However, if the apprentice they take in proves unteachable, they tend to join the groundskeepers or attendant within a Land Lord's compound.