Chapter Nineteen: Embers Over Port Town

Ajax stood and stepped away from Shawn still seating in Outlaw's Reign. "What did you just say?" The man who burst through the doors to alert Calveron Ajax was out of breath. Ajax grabbed the man's shoulders and looked him in the eye.

"Port Town is on fire!" The man warned again. "They are attacking." Shawn's eyes twitched.

"They are attacking Port Town?" Shawn asked, as he let go of the sword. "The SafeGuard had reports of unknown outlaws catching towns on fire and taking citizens captive."

Ajax pointed to the sword in front of Shawn. "Pick that back up, you will need it." Ajax advised as they began their walk to the exit. "You have heard of this group?" Shawn followed close behind. Ajax pushed on the doors to exit but paused.

"I was determined to find the bandits who committed these crimes." Shawn and Ajax stared intensely at each other.

"You may be surprised as to who is behind these attacks." Ajax reviewed the recent events in his mind and chuckled. "Perhaps not."

The smoky aroma filled the street as the pushed through. They witnessed men and women scattered throughout the streets running for help. Children clung to their parents' arms and clothing. The Port Town guards were overwhelmed by the attack. Many wanted to stop and help the wounded or scared, while others focused on eliminating the fire starters. The town was in life altering chaos. Calveron Ajax stood near the tavern and scanned the docks and streets. He had seen a lot of violence. This was just another opportunity for him to spill the blood of his enemies. However, this was all too new for Shawn. He had seen acts of violence that shocked most but nothing as horrific as what occurred in the streets of Port Town. Men slaughtered for trying to save their families. Children ripped from the dying arms of their family. Shawn's sword dropped in horror.

Ajax saw how frightened Shawn had become but could not take the time to talk. "Where is everyone else?" Ajax asked his man. A tall bearded man turned around. A mighty axe in his hands. Hanz Brawn took Leyland's vacant position at Ajax's side.

"They went into the city to settle the fires!" Hanz answered quickly, his voice a higher pitch than Shawn expected. "I sent a small group to the south to protect Addler!"

"We will head in as well then." Ajax told the frazzled Shawn. "We are going in to save lives, Thyume!" He looked fiercely as the flames danced overhead. "If you wish to put that blade into my skull do it now!" He paused to watch Shawn's reaction. Shawn looked to the people running from death. "If you wish to save lives then put the past behind us. We don't have time to tread on what came before. What happened to Nicholas was truly unfortunate. However, the future holds a long and hectic journey for you. The grudge you have against me will only make that journey longer for the both of us." Shawn gave Ajax an unimpaired nod and off went Ajax into the town. Shawn stood frozen. His mind unable to tell his body what to do. The screams of the people, the screams of the past, and the screams of the uncertain future paralyzed Shawn. Ajax's words took Shawn by surprise. This was not the same man James King told him about. He was not unreasonable or wild.

The voice of Will broke Shawn from his trance. "What is happening?" Will's voice panicked, the pour's effect still holding onto Will. Alex and Laura soon followed.

"Port Town is under attack. The same group known for setting towns on fire and kidnapping civilians." Alex remembered the stories told.

"We have to help them!" Alex said without hesitation he swung his sword out.

"Alex! My father!" Laura yelled, as she noticed her neighborhood on fire. Alex turned to Shawn. "He won't be able to manage!"

"Go help her father, Alex." Shawn ordered. "Once they are secured, set the captured free. Ajax and I will fight them off." Alex and Will paused as the name Ajax registered in their ears. "I will explain later!" Shawn followed the distant Ajax.