Chapter Sixteen: Summit Among Kings

The sun slowly rises after the storm drifted to the East. The fencing entrusted to contain life stock had collapsed during the storm. Mud and hooves printers scattered around the white painted boards. The lambs roamed to the fields of wheat north of the farm, chewing on the wet crops. The farmers unaware of the conditions in the early morning. But a disturbance on the road scattered them further away from the farmhouse. Forrean Guardian Araon Blu stepped into the mud, creating a perfect outline of his leather covered foot. Araon wondered to the outside of the home and peered around the corner. His partner, Noylon Rash spotted the trail through the muddy water. They peered through the windows, their targets still deep in sleep. Their subtle footsteps went unheard until an attempt was made to open the door. Will popped his head up. He glanced to see Alex still asleep near the snoring Shawn. He slowly crawled to the front window and eased upward to peak outside. Will noticed the two Guardians. Araon attempted to pick the lock of the door while Noylon kept an eye on the road.

Will softly whispered at Alex. But he was far from awakening. Will hurried over to Alex, hunched over. He shook his body violently and cupped Alex's mouth when he woke up. "Guardians outside the door." He whispered.

Alex panicked and looked over at Shawn, unarmed and without armor. Alex grabbed his knife and stormed to the window. The guardians were nowhere to be seen. He looked back at Will and shrugged. "Where?" A strong fist suddenly reached through the glass, shattering the window. Araon grabbed Alex by the throat, the door slammed open and Noylon stormed towards Will sword in hand. He rushed at the defenseless man, Alex screamed out for Will. While still trying to breathe, Alex flung his dagger at Will's attacker unsuccessfully. Noylon deflected the knife, Alex watched as it jumped on the wooden ground until it stopped close to the door. Kile appeared at the base of the stairs behind Noylon with a small sword in hand. Alex's eyes wide. He yelled out at Kile. "No!" Araon struggled to keep Alex still as he climbed through the broken window. Alex watched as Noylon disarmed Kile fairly easily. "Run, Kile!" Noylon grabbed Kile and held him tight with his sword to his throat.

"Kill the commoners first!" Araon commanded. "Alex can watch, this is your doing!" Araon's bloody hand held Alex close.

"Don't do this!" Alex pleaded with all his heart. "This is not who you are!" Noylon tossed Kile to the ground hard. Noylon advanced for the killing blow. But his sword stopped inches away from Kile's back. The stunned Guardian looked to his right to see Shawn. Shawn stopped the attack by grabbing Noylon's armed wrist. Before Noylon could collect himself Alex threw his hand back into his face, causing Noylon to fall backward with a bloody nose. Shawn took the sword from Noylon and quickly stuck it into his gut.

"Noylon!" Araon yelled as he threw Alex next to Will.

"Return to SafeHaven, Araon." Shawn warned with a heavy breath. "This does not need to continue."

"I will not flee from my brother's killer, as you did." Araon hissed, flipping his sword around. "You shame Nicholas with every breath you take!" He charged at Shawn with a war cry. Shawn blocked and took a step back as he prepared for the next strike. He blocked and pushed Araon's sword away from them and pushed forward, knocking Araon off balance before stabbing him in the gut. Araon saw the regret in Shawn's face, the shame, the guilt. "False Guardian." Shawn slowly lowered Araon's body to the ground. Araon struggled to breath. "Master Guardian will find you. Justice will come for Nicholas." Shawn leaned in closer to Araon.

"That is exactly what I plan to do." Shawn whispered as Araon's eyes drifted shut. Angry tears formed in Shawn's eyes. He squeezed the collar of his breastplate, wanting to shatter the armor and the SafeGuard crest resting above his still heart.

Alex's gentle movements caused Shawn to refocus. "It is time to go." Shawn demanded, as he threw the sword down. "Thank you for the hospitality, Mr. Caperson." Urale stood at the base of the stairs, her eyes stuck on the bloody floors.