Chapter One: Disturbance in the South

As the sun reaches its highest peak, during the Period of Heat, the Forrean High Council joins for its afternoon deliberations. Head Councilman Jackel Howl was elected to lead this body of Forrean Government just two years prior. The middle-aged man sat with his nine fellow Councilmen and woman in the High Hall, gathered around a large crescent table. Above their heads was a balcony for Forrean military leadership and another for a public audience during open trials. The room was void of any noises besides the random cough that escaped from a pair of lips. Not a word was spoken as Howl read a scroll to himself.

Head Council assistant, Oli Lambuz hurried away from the center of the room. Lambuz's feet shuffled to the side. Jackel Howl cleared his throat. "Next issue was submitted by Land Lord of the Southlands, Torrance Judge." Howl's blue eyes looked at his fellow councilmen skeptically. Torrance Judge was no friend to the High Council.

Councilman Grant Edwards snorted through his long curly beard at the end of the table. Shaking his head as he looked at the Head Councilman. "The old man has some nerve requesting anything from us!"

Howl brought his hand up, silencing Edwards. "Councilman Edwards, please! This body has a duty to address any issues the Land Lords sends our way. If we silence one Land Lord, we silence thousands of Forrean citizens."

Councilman Leslie Oxherd leaned in next to Howl. "The Judge never requests." Oxherd insisted. "The old man runs the south with little oversight from this committee. He should follow instructions if he wishes aid from us."

Councilman Randell Pike slammed his hand on the white stone table. "The people of Forrea are our responsibility!" The strong councilman's hand stung from smacking the table. He paused to caress the palm of his hand. "Head Councilman Howl, please continue!" Howl gave Pike an appreciative nod. Edwards scoffed and sat back in his tall-back chair.

Councilman Howl continued reading from the script. "A twelfth attack has occurred in his territory. They attacked the small town of Marshal. Several homes were burned and twenty citizens were killed. The outlaws have turned to kidnapping as well. The total missing has reached thirty-nine." A low rumble broke out among the group.

"The citizens of Marshal fail to pay their share of taxes!" Edwards complained. "Sixty two percent of their people have failed to pay taxes this season alone." The taxes on the Forrea's people continue to climb. Many civilians sleep in a cell until the debt is paid.

Councilwoman Baily Caplin scoffed. "Thirty-nine Forreans are missing and you worry about taxes?" She shook her head, waving her long blonde hair behind her. The two stared at each other from the opposite points of the crescent table. "Shame on you Councilman! These attacks began further east. They move westward." Howl nodded.

"We should send a platoon of soldiers to protect the south." Councilman Parson suggested. "The Generals of Forrea have seen such reports. They wish to send aid."

"I do wish to investigate these attacks." Councilwoman Vettee Brown informed. "I believe this is the inevitable return of Arnold Belron." Some sighs escaped lips around the room.

"Arnold Belron must have died long ago of old age." Councilman Edwards shook his head. "We cannot send aid to territories that do not abide by Forrean law! We do not want this example to be repeated by the other territories!"

"Edwards is correct, the south has not paid its due." Councilwoman Manna Breeza expressed just a chair away from Edwards. "The Judge rules without any respect to the High Council. The issue must be addressed but perhaps a new election in the south needs to take place. Someone who can be entrusted in collecting what is due."