Chapter Six: Truth's Horizon

Nicholas Cheron's body led the parade to Healer Malic Lockwood's chambers under SafeHaven. Somber faces and sniffles lined the long corridors. An emotionless Shawn followed behind him. The lengthy corridor to the Healer's chambers took a thousand years for Shawn. Each step more difficult than the last. His feet magnetized to the ground. He thought if he simply stopped and reversed his steps he could stop this from being his reality. Fellow Guardians attempted to comfort him, each one failed. Their words washing passed Shawn. Alex came running behind. "I just heard." His words could not break Shawn free of his daze. Shawn's glazed red eyes stuck on Nicholas's free swaying hand. James King could see the distraught in Shawn. He stopped his pursuit to allow him to grieve. James knew the bond between Guardians are very strong, once that bond is shattered the damage can be devastating. When Gregory Thyume died during the Battle of Crimson Bay, James King found himself in a dark state. He became a lifeless, joyless cell that consumed all light. Dawn King attempted to lift him up, but her might was no match. James King struggled to lead honorably without Gregory. All witnessed the beginning of the SafeGuard's decent. Had it not been for Shawn, the darkness would have consumed him and destroyed the SafeGuard. James King saw Gregory in the infant Thyume. He took Shawn and raised him to be a man Gregory would be proud of. With his focus on Shawn, he shortly found himself back to normal.

Ian King watched from a distance as Nicholas was taken into Malic's chambers. He bathed in Shawn's tears and disarray. His heart ached for the death of a fellow Guardian, the hurting it caused Shawn made it much more bearable. He happily walked back to his room to get a full night's rest.

While Ian rested comfortably in his bed, Shawn sat at Nicholas's bedside. He sat in a conjoining observation room to the Healer's Chambers. Shawn stared at Nicholas's motionless face, half expecting him to open his eyes. He wanted to nudge Nicholas's rib to wake him from his deep sleep. He bent forward and placed his forehead on Nicholas's shoulder. "Do you remember the time when we were trainees?" Shawn asked somberly. "We were under the supervision of Guardian Hendricks while our mentors were away. I never told you." He paused to remember to breathe. "You had just defeated me in an archery match and the eyes of disappointment followed me. Hendricks took us to the swordsman's training grounds to practice our footwork." A small smile came to his face. "While you spoke with Guardian Hendricks, I took to the fake swords. I loosened yours from the handle. I was the one that caused your wooden blade to fall off during our match and smack you in the nose." He shook his head and chuckled. "I remember your face, stunned." He stopped his soft laughter, thinking it as being rude. "Guardian Hendricks questioned me but I lied. They teach us for years to become skilled killers and infiltrators. Yet they fail to teach us how to lose." Tears began to slowly fall down his face. "They failed to teach us how to say goodbye." His cry became sobs. "How do I say goodbye to my brother? This wasn't your time, Nicholas!" While Shawn attempted to clean his face with his soft sleeve, James King walked through the doorway with a soft step. "It was my fault and I should be on this table."

"Shawn." James spoke softly, startling Shawn. James's fingers twitched behind his back. "I do not expect you to turn and face me right now, but you returned with half a duo. The Generals intend to investigate this You shall be questioned at sun rise." Shawn nodded his head. "I am sorry, my son." Shawn's head fell back onto Nicholas's still body as James King closed the door behind him.

General Crowly stood in the entry door of the Healer's Dungeon. James King shook his head. "Did you tell him, James?" Crowly stood in James King's way. "You didn't." Crowly scoffed as he stepped aside for him to pass. "You cannot protect him any longer, James! Time is running out and he is unprepared!" James King slowed his steps. "Any fallout from your inaction shall be reported."