Chapter Twenty Four: Rage

Unknowing to General Crowly, Alex and Will treaded gently on his heels through the rolling hills of middle Forrea with hostages as they hurried to SafeHaven. Though Alex's stomach grumbled from lack of food, he pushed his steed hard in pursuit. The two pursuers rested during the nightfall but deep sleep could not be found, for when it came so did the breath of a new day. Their backs ached, their inner thighs raw from the saddles. But all the suffering would soon come to an end. The dust of the enemy caravan still floated in the air as they road through. The stench of the kidnapped filled the air the horse snorted. "Remember." Alex yelled, over the thumping horses. "No harm shall come to the innocent! Aim your arrow accurate and strike only the enemy!" Will nodded as they inched closer to the end of the convoy.

They pulled on the strings of their strong bows, bouncing along with their horses as they took aim. Will's balance faltered momentarily, he shook side to side before regaining his balance. Will began to sweat, his arrow aiming for a living person, unlike the trees he used to aim at. But his deep breaths washed away the panic and doubt in his mind. Alex awaited Will to fire, once he saw Will's fingers flinch he released. Their arrows arched slightly and came striking the back of the rear soldiers. One collapsed while the other fell to his knee. He twisted and noticed them closing in. Alex noticed the soldier reaching for a silver horn hanging behind him. "Stop him, before he alerts the others!" But before another arrow could be released the blare rang through the vast fields just North of Iron Hill. Alex released his arrow and struck the horn blower in the chest taking his breath from him.

The movement halted as more soldiers on horseback circled about to face their attackers. Alex pulled on his reins as the small horde rushed towards them. He jumped from his steed as Will fired arrow after arrow from horseback. The young fighter swung his sword out and confronted the first soldier to cross blades. Will kept Alex safe by keeping some of the soldiers and Guardians away. That would not last long however. The enemy shot back at Will, narrowly missing their mark. Will jumped from the horse in time to avoid the arrows. His horse ran off with several arrows sticking from its rear. Another horn blew, it was much deeper than the other soldier's. This horn stopped the soldiers from attacking. Alex stood ready to strike. But movement behind caught his eye. General Crowly and the Deadly Rose came out of the carriages of hostages.

General Crowly laughed. "Alex Dodgeson?" General Crowly yelled, as he strolled closer. His fingers wrapped around the hilt of his sword. "Where is Thyume?" Crowly scanned the horizon for Shawn. Alex stared at his old General from behind his bloody sword. "You have killed two of my men, Dodgeson! Two of your brothers!"

Alex shook his head violently. "These men are not my brothers! Most that remain by your side are murderers!"

General Crowly laughed devilishly. "Shawn's naïve mind has blinded you." He said, taking his blade out of the dark sheath. "Drop your weapon and I will spare you and the commoner."

"We aren't leaving until Laura Lynx is by our side."

"Laura Lynx?" He yelled, looking at Rose.

"Paul Lynx's daughter." Rose said, coldly. "The old Wind Rider Captain. She's being held towards the front."

Crowly nodded as if he knew who Rose was talking about. "Her father has been quite the thorn in the SafeGuard's side for some time now. Bringing the old man his daughter's head might just pay for his crimes."

"You will not touch her!" Alex screamed, taking a step towards Crowly. "Send her out to us and we will be on our way."

"You would leave the rest to be killed and tortured?" He asked the nervous boy. "My master plans to work them to death and suck their dying soul from their bodies. A very painful way to die. Every person behind me in cages will share the same fate."