Chapter 21

3 weeks later

"Hey jess you're out of bed!" I call as she comes out of her bedroom rubbing her forehead.

"Ugh." She grumbles. "I heard about the school reunion."

"Yeah, tonight at 8. Are you coming?" I ask, taking a bite of my toast.

"I'll think about it. And erm, where's my toast?' She jokes.

I can't believe I'm up this early but I did agree to meet mike for brunch. Ailish won't be out of bed until 1, same for katie and normally me! Plus I have lunch at 2 with Ailish and her boyfriend Max, who I set up but I've dated max and its unbelievable the awkwardness about it!

"Busy day then?" Jess asks, nicking some of my toast, one I hadn't bitten into...she can't stand spit - which is definitely an understatement.

"I drooled in that one jess!" I call as she goes over to the fridge. "The Nutella is mouth watering!" I joke and the next thing, I'm hearing jess gagging into the sink. "I was just kidding!" Then I take a hit on the back of my head and hear one last spit in the sink.

"And yes very busy, brunch in an hour at 10 then lunch at 2 and finally the reunion at 8. Meh." But then I think about all the food, yum! My belly grumbles and I reach for the ready porridge pot and corn flakes.

Then I get a text.

'Hey, I can't wait until lunch at two! I have something we need to talk about too, but not now.' It was max. But, huh?

'Okay...? Is it serious?' I ask.

'It depends on your answer.' He replies. I hate it when people are so secretive so I decide to not reply. I go into my room and mooch through my wardrobe sighing at some of the disasters I wasted my money on, but katie still holds the throne with the dress from her great aunt. Okay so a cute top and pencil skirt, too worky. A maxi? Way to dressy. Mini dress, too whorey. Jumper and jeans, too lazy. Mini skirt...hmm. No. I might settle for some leggings with a long top, or is that too 5 year old-y? Shit!

Fuck, just stood on a stiletto heel, wow that could have gone right through my damn foot! Okay hopping to the dresser, minding my face from any sharp things. Phew.

* * *

"Hi, katie!" Mike says after I open the door thinking its the mail man with my Harry Potter posters, so I'm holding an earring in my mouth, phone between my head and shoulder and hopping because I just stood on that damn heel again. "You look great!" He blushes half heartedly.

"Sorry I made you wait," I apologise.

"Oh it's fine," he says checking his watch "it was only six minutes."

"Okay!" I grin not listening to him "give me a minute to finish getting ready." He hums in agreement.

"Where to then?"

* * *

I laugh sarcastically, hitting him with a playful punch in the arm.

"So where'd you grow up?" I ask using a technique from Rachel.

"I grew up in Manchester actually, moved here for work." He sighs.

"That must have been hard for you, moving away from your parents and so far away." I say tilting my head.

"It was, leaving my mum and sister. But my dad passed away and my brother was put in jail, we never got on."

"Oh, I'm so sorry. Poor you. It must have been tough."