CHAPTER 28

XxXxXxXxXxXxX

Chapter Twenty-Eight

The third birthday of the Hyūga Clan's heiress was the first time that Kōji would be invited to a major event concerning the clans of Konoha. While the two, nearing three, year old had met the heiress before, a child by the name of Hinata, it had been in much smaller celebrations that usually involved a much smaller group of people than the coming event.

Unlike previous birthdays, however, the Hyūga saw it as a time to introduce their heir to the other heirs of Konoha's clans, many of which, by an amazing stroke of coincidence, were roughly the same age as Hinata and Kōji.

The Hyūga had invited multiple people to attend, many of them having some kind of shinobi background. Minato and Kushina had obviously been invited, along with Kōji.

But for some reason, so was he.

"I didn't know that I was close with the Hyūga Clan," Naruto muttered sarcastically under his breath. "I suppose that it'd be rude if I decline the invitation?" He asked his son. They were both in Minato's office during the Hokage's break from his work. Minato answered only after he swallowed the part of the sandwich he was chewing and picked up the sheet of paper that was sitting on his desk.

"It's addressed specifically inviting you as well, Tou-san, so unless you give a legitimate reason for not going, yes they would." Minato frowned. "Why wouldn't you want to go, Tou-san? Do you have something to do?"

"Why would they invite me in the first place?" Naruto asked, trying to direct the conversation away from its current path. Minato raised an eyebrow.

"You're the wielder of rare bloodline, as well as a recluse, barely talking to most people. They want to know about you, Tou-san, to learn more about Swift Release. I wouldn't be surprised if they had wanted to meet you for a while now." The Yondaime then brought the conversation back to its original direction. "Now why don't you want to go?"

Naruto grumbled. "Can't you just go and tell them whatever they wish to know?"

"And say what?" Minato asked with another raised eyebrow. "That I can go really fast?" That was most of what Minato could do with Swift Release after all the training that his father had given him. He had the ability to move and stop at various speeds mastered, but now he had to worry about how he interacted with the rest of the world at those speeds.

Needless to say, it would take a long time before Minato could touch something safely while moving with, not only the irregular lessons, but also learning to interact at the different speeds.

"Now why don't you want to go?" Minato finished

"You know what I mean," Naruto replied. "There isn't a whole lot that I could say that you couldn't."

"Tou-san," Minato said again, now sounding exasperated. "Stop avoiding the question. Why don't you want to go?" Naruto gave a sigh and pointedly tapped Minato's desk. The Hokage nodding knowingly, and with a flicker of his hand, had the ANBU vacate the room before securing it.

"Okay, now what is it?" He asked. "Do you believe the Hyūga could see through your disguise?" Naruto shook his head.

"No, there's no chance of that happening." Naruto answered, waving off his son's concerns. "Despite being able to see through illusions, and chakra, the Byakūgan can't tell the difference between physical alterations."

"But," Minato frowned, "You don't alter yourself." He paused. "Do you?"

Naruto gave his son a slight smile. "It is an illusion in that it isn't truly real, but I do alter myself for my disguise." Without a gesture, a wave of white washed down Naruto's hair, his eyes also changing to the same colour, revealing his natural form as his skin was rejuvenated slightly. Then a moment later, his hair turned red, his eyes changed to purple. This too lasted for only a moment before his hair turned blond, with his eyes turning blue, matching Minato's hair and eye colour like he had done for Kushina before. Then, he returned his disguise, hair turning black, eyes turning green.