CHAPTER 16

XxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxX

Chapter Sixteen

Standing a good distance away from the walls of Konoha, out of sight of the gate guards that he knew would be posted outside, Naruto was reminded of just how little time affected him compared to the rest of the world. Mountains would rise and fall, lakes would expanded and dry up, people would be born and die, and in all that time, he would remained the same, unchanging.

This is something that he had accept long ago, yet, at the same time, he hadn't gotten over it. How could one truly move past the fact that they would be the one to bury their children? Or their children's children? Naruto had learned that he would never be able to move past this, that it would always haunt him, but he had learned to simply accept it.

What else could he do? Dwell on it until it consumed him?

As he looked at the walls that had protected Konoha from over fifty years, Naruto couldn't help but wonder when if he would have to possibly bury his son twice. Should this 'Minato Namikaze' truly be his son, how long would he have with him before Minato died? A shinobi life was dangerous, and considering that he heard that this Minato was the Kage of Konoha, how long before he misjudged a punch, didn't leap far enough, slipped on rock...

Naruto shook his head, he couldn't think like that, not when there was the possibility of his son still being alive. Such morbid thoughts should wait for a different time.

Beginning the slow trek that would be typical of his current disguise, Naruto moved forward, towards the open gates. As he walked, Naruto had to admit that the clothes he was wearing were more comfortable than he had first thought. His usual black, loose fitting pants were absent, in its place was a pair of similar looking brown pants made of cotton. Where he would usually wear the magatama kimono that the Yōso Sennin was known for, Naruto instead wore a brown haori with an undershirt of a similar colour.

All in all, it was quite plain to look at, the brown colour only broken up by the parts of Naruto that were visible from the clothes openings, it made him look plain, unassuming. The perfect way to look, tying in well with the genjutsu that he covered his face and hair with, a genjutsu that made him look older than he actually was. His hair was black with grey roots showing instead of its usual pure white, wrinkles adorned his usually flawless skin while his pure white eyes were a startling green. The figure that was walking towards Konoha looked almost completely different from the one that had defended Uzushiogakure several years ago.

As he moved to the gates, Naruto had to momentarily pause for a moment, wondering if he wasn't the only one that stopped aging. Before him were the exact same gate guards that he had seen when he first returned to Konoha to train Tsunade and her little friends.

But it was as he stared at them that Naruto began to notice several differences between the two people before him and the ones that had guarded the gate several years ago. The differences in clothing, along with several other features told Naruto that they were most likely the son's of the two that had met him originally.

These two were also taking their jobs much more seriously than the other two had been, both were alert and constantly scanning the area for any sudden movement. Though whether this was because the Third Shinobi War, as the people were calling it, had just finished or if they actually took their duties seriously remained to be seen.

As he approached the gates, he noticed the two shinobi share a look as he approached, and noticed the cautious looks on their faces. When it came to shinobi, one was never too old to be a threat, it made sense that these two would be weary of him even though he looked well past his prime.