♦ chapter two ♦

After most of the group had dissolved, Signy was still sitting at the center of the Helicarrier

After most of the group had dissolved, Signy was still sitting at the center of the Helicarrier. The pretty, brunette agent who'd she learned was named Maria Hill had taken a spot beside her, helpfully narrating the file so it made more sense. "So wait, how old is Rogers?" she questioned.

Maria sighed thoughtfully. "If he was born in 1941, he should be... eighty?"

"Mm. I mean, it's not crazy, considering where I'm from. Who knows how old my brothers truly are... But for a Midgardian man to look like him at that age. It must be crazy for you to think about."

"It was. Then I met him and realized he's a fairly normal guy, just hasn't caught up to the twenty-first century yet."

Signy turned this over in her head for a moment, wondering what might have caused him to make a decision like taking the serum. Most would volunteer for reasons rooted in greed: strength, power, fame. But the man she'd met, no matter how briefly, didn't have this air about him. Rather, he was fairly mild mannered and kind, despite the circumstances of her being introduced as the sister of the homicidal maniac he'd just fought.

Instead of bringing up this point, she turned to another member of the team. "Then Banner tried to mimic what made Rogers that way? And failed?"

"Essentially," Maria said. "Though Ross didn't inform him of what he was creating. So he was accidentally exposed to unsafe levels of gamma radiation and... Hulk happened."

"And it's irreversible? He'll never be able to control it?"

"I doubt he'll ever really get rid of the Hulk. But he may be able to control it. I mean, he's controlling it right now, isn't he? And in a more stressful environment than he's experienced in years."

"I guess so..." Again, she thought this over. If she considered Steve mild mannered, Bruce was something else entirely. If anything, knowledge of the beast living inside him made her respect him more for the control he had over his emotions. She had always worked hard to contain her own for less than dire circumstances. "And Tony is just a mortal man in a suit of armor?"

"Essentially. Iron Man was something he created to survive, then kept up to protect himself and others from-"

"His inner demons," Signy filled in almost reflexively. She thought it a fair assessment. Others would look and see arrogance in his chosen battles, but Signy saw through this. First, he put the final nail in the coffin of the weapons he made that were being misused overseas. Then, he protected his friends and family from a maniac out to get him, uncaring of the innocents he harmed in the process. There were plenty of missteps in between and in pursuit of these goals, but it humanized him in Signy's eyes. Just like her brother, Tony projected a mask of self-importance, but there was a soft side when you dove deeper.

Signy's mind turned to those in the room who weren't included in the file.

"So then, tell me about you and the red-haired woman and the man with the kind smile and the man with the eye patch. You all aren't in this file."