♦ chapter fifteen ♦

"All our work is gone," Bruce said as they all sat around Tony's lab

"All our work is gone," Bruce said as they all sat around Tony's lab. Tony was looking over the destroyed bots while Banner paced the room anxiously. "Ultron cleared out. He used the Internet as an escape hatch."

"He's been in everything. Files, surveillance," Natasha reiterated. "Probably knows more about us than we know about each other."

Signy glanced around the room, her mind racing. She trusted the people in that space more than she trusted most of her own family. It disturbed her that they each had things they were keeping from her.

Rhodey brought up a separate, but equally terrifying, point. "He's in our files. He's in the Internet. What if he decides to access something a little more exciting?"

Maria caught his drift, filling in, "Nuclear codes."

"Look, we need to make some calls. Assuming we still can."

"Wait, attacking innocents?" Signy questioned. "He said he wanted us dead, not everyone else."

"He didn't say 'dead.' He said 'extinct,'" Steve corrected.

"He also said he killed somebody," Clint brought up. "But there wasn't anyone else in the building."

"Yes there was," Tony said solemnly, moving towards the center of the room. He projected a large, orange structure that looked as if it had been ripped apart brutally. "Jarvis."

Signy cringed at the visual. Bruce stepped closer, looking over the carnage in confusion. "This is insane," he muttered.

"Jarvis was the first line of defense. He could have shut Ultron down. It makes sense," Steve said.

"No. Ultron could've assimilated Jarvis," Bruce contradicted. "This isn't strategy. This is... rage."

Rage is all that coursed through Thor's being as he saw his sister's faraway look. Her mossy, green eyes were glassy and glazed over and she bit her lip as her anxiety grew.

The God of Thunder huffed and stormed forward, wrapping his fingers around Stark's neck as he lifted him off the ground. Signy rolled her eyes at her brother's dramatics.

"Come on, use your words, buddy," Tony snarked. Even without a proper air supply, he found time for sarcasm.

"I have more than enough words to describe you, Stark," Thor said with deadly calmness.

"Thor, the Legionnaire," Signy interrupted, bringing his attention back to the task at hand.

He dropped Tony and looked at his sister, then around the room, anger still festering just beneath the surface. "Trail went cold about a hundred miles out, but it's headed north. And it has the scepter. Now, we have to retrieve it. Again."

"I don't understand," Signy said. "You built this thing, Tony. Why is it trying to kill us?"

Stark was facing away from the group, but his laughter was evident as ever. They all looked up at him, an array of confusion and anger settling on their faces. Bruce's eyes darted between the frustrated Avengers and chuckling billionaire. "Mmm-mmm," Bruce advised, attempting a subtle shake of his head.