♦ chapter nine ♦

"If it isn't my beloved siblings," Loki drawled as Thor and Signy approached his cage

"If it isn't my beloved siblings," Loki drawled as Thor and Signy approached his cage. The halls of the prison were dark stone, but the cells were illuminated with the gold of the shield keeping the prisoners in. And inside, the room was lined with smooth, white walls. Loki's cell was decorated with dark, metal furniture, neatly arranged just as he liked it. "Now you come to visit me," Loki continued, leaning towards the gold shield. "Why? Have you come to gloat? To mock?"

"Loki, enough," Thor said.

"I was scared. Scared you wouldn't want to see me," Signy spoke up. "After all, you made it pretty clear last time we met that you had no care left for me. Forgive me if I believed you." Her eyes danced over the room. "And for Odin's sake would you drop the illusions already."

Loki's standing figure and carefully placed furniture faded away, revealing a scattered mess of wrecked chairs and tables, objects strewn about the room. The back wall was darkened with places where the pieces had likely broken against.

In the middle of it all sat Loki. His hair, usually neatly slicked back was limp and messy around his head. His clothes, in the illusion shown as pristine and regal, were now drab and simple.

"Now you see me, Signy," he said plainly. It was then she recognized the telltale red circles about his eyes. He's been crying.

Signy walked around the edge of the cell, Thor close behind her as they came to the side closer to Loki's position at the back of the wall.

"Did she suffer?" Loki asked.

Signy's eyes welled up as she bit her lip and shook her head. "It was quick. So quick... The light just vanished from her eyes. In a split second... It was horrible."

Loki's features softened further. "Signy..."

Thor sniffed and looked away from them. "We did not come to share in our grief. Instead, I offer you the chance of a far richer sacrament."

"Go on," Loki said, conviction once again rising in his voice.

"I know you seek vengeance just as much as I do-"

"As we do," Signy corrected.

With a quick glance at his sister, Thor continued, "You help us escape Asgard and I will grant it to you. Vengeance... and afterward, this cell."

Loki looked around and chuckled softly "You must be truly desperate to come to me for help... What makes you think you could trust me?"

"I don't," Thor said quickly. "Mother did."

Loki looked to Signy. "And what of you, Sister? Do you trust me?"

A frown plagued her features as she spat, "Not in the slightest."

Loki smiled. "You're learning."

"Loki," Thor regained his attention, "you should know that when we fought each other in the past, I did so with a glimmer of hope that my brother still exists in there somewhere." His gaze cut over to Signy who bit her lip with growing tears once again. "That hope no longer exists to protect you. Signy is my greatest concern now. You betray me- betray us... and I will kill you."