♦ chapter ten ♦

The ship continued rather peacefully after then

The ship continued rather peacefully after then. Signy stood at the front of the ship, taking in the view of the unfamiliar land. It was shrouded in a green haze and was covered in rubble, hardly any of it natural. These were the remains of that famous battle, she realized.

She turned back towards the ship to see Loki at his post, directing their course. Thor covered an unconscious Jane up with a soft blanket, carefully stroking her hair as she stirred.

Loki sighed. "What I could do with the power that flows through those veins," he mused.

"It would consume you," Thor argued.

"She's holding up alright... For now."

"She's strong in ways you'd never know."

"Say goodbye," Loki mocked.

"Not this day."

"This day, the next, a hundred years, it's nothing. It's a heartbeat. You'll never be ready. The only woman whose love you prized will be snatched from you-"

"And will that satisfy you?"

"Satisfaction's not in my nature," Loki said.

"And surrender's not in mine," Thor quipped.

"Mercy, I wish Jane were awake," Signy muttered, taking a seat beside the sleeping girl. She once again found herself much too surrounded by testosterone and needed a reliever.

Loki presented the two like they were on a game show. "The children of Odin, everyone."

"No, not just Odin!" Thor said. "You think you alone were loved by Mother? You had her tricks, but I had her trust."

A pang of grief suddenly hit Signy. "And what did I have?" she asked quietly. Both of her brothers turned to her suddenly. Signy focused on running a hand through Jane's hair. "I thought I had her trust, too. Then I watched her die... Right in front of me."

"Neither of you did a thing," Loki said bitterly, his voice cracking under the grief. "Both of you let her die."

Signy's eyes stung and she bit her lip to keep emotions from bubbling to the surface. She'd been able to mostly repress them thus far. She skipped the funeral, instead locking herself in her bed chamber. She couldn't stand to accept the fact that her mother would no longer be around to attempt to pull her hair up around her face or to catch on to her and Loki's schemes quicker than anyone. She would never see that mischievous glint in her eye again, so much like her own. And it was her own fault, as far as Signy was concerned.

"What help were you in your cell?" Thor egged on as Signy was consumed with her own emotions.

"Who put me there? Who put me there?!"

"You know damn well who!" Thor exclaimed, pushing Loki up against the edge of the ship threateningly.

Katri lifted the last amounts of water from the floor and used it to push them to opposite sides of the ship, freezing Thor's clenched fists to the metal. "Stop it! Do you think she'd want us to fight?!"