♦ chapter twenty ♦

Cutting off Signy's regaining of control, Thor slid into Tony's lab, jumped up on the Cradle and thrust his hammer towards the sky, summoning shocks of lightning to consume the room

"Wait!" Signy yelled.

She was too late. She watched as Thor brought his hammer down onto the Cradle, giving the bot inside a shock of life. Signy mindlessly melted the ice containing her friends as they all slowly stood, watching to see their fate decided.

There was silence as the lightning calmed. It was only a fleeting moment as the Cradle burst open, throwing Thor back through a pane of glass. Signy ran to her brother's side.

A red and gold body emerged from the smoke. He stood up carefully, glancing around at the unfamiliar faces of the Avengers. Signy jumped as the android lunged at Thor. The older Asgardian reacted quicker, throwing the vision through another pane of glass behind him.

The Avengers looked on in confusion as the android came to a pause in front of the large window panes overlooking New York City. The vision looked curiously upon his reflection, holding a hand up as if he could touch it.

Steve jumped forward, ready to advance on the perceived enemy. Thor held up his hand, halting the super soldier. Each of them slowly made their way to the living space of the Avengers tower, watching as the vision thoughtfully.

Signy stepped through shards of glass, ending up in the space between Thor and Wanda as Pietro sped up beside her. When he saw her think about advancing further, he carefully grabbed her wrist. Signy looked at him in confusion, but paused at the hint of worry in his eyes.

Signy knew she didn't need his protection, but in the quiet stressfulness of the scenario, she relaxed under his grip, slipping her hand down into his. The familiar warmth of his skin met her cold. Pietro refused to move, scared that any flinch too quick would break Signy from whatever trance she was under that she was able to give him the time of day for that split second.

Thor was oblivious to the exchange, stepping closer to the Vision, his gaze zeroing in on the stone laid in the vision's head.

"I'm sorry. That was... odd," it... he said, turning to Thor. "Thank you."

"Thor, you helped create this?" Steve asked incredulously.

"I had a vision," Thor explained. "A whirlpool that sucks in all hope of life and at the center is that." Thor pointed at the stone accusingly.

Signy took a step back, unconsciously squeezing Pietro's hand tighter. But Pietro took notice.

Thor continued to explain the infinity stones, his eyes brushing over them each in turn, ending on his sister. As the vision took over, Thor's eyes drifted down to where his kid sister's hand was wrapped in that of a criminal. Thor had written off the Maximoff boy's comment back in South Africa as a distraction or a way to get back at him with, perhaps, a hint of truth lingering behind his words on the chance that he found Signy attractive. But never had Thor imagined that Pietro's feelings may be reciprocated.