[One] Reason

A murder of crows cawed in agony as they flew past the sunny sky of Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania. It was hot, near solar level, and everyone on the ground was sweating like a pregnant nun. Bakudi, a politician, felt the heat too. It was why he had asked Babo and Kilo (police officers) to wait for him outside his house where the wind helped reduce the heat.

"Just kill him, OK! He's caused me too much trouble." Bakudi rubbed the dark bags under his eyes. "Did you hear me?" he asked.

Babo and Kilo glanced at each other and smiled. Seeing him sweat like a pig must have been a sight for their sore eyes. Unlike the ungrateful bastard in front of them, their hats blocked the sun from their faces.

"Ndio, we heard you. How much will you pay us for it?" Babo asked. If there was one thing that defined corrupt officers in Dar Es Salaam, then money was the perfect representation. 

"How much do you want?" Bakudi asked with a sigh, as though he hadn't expected it. He kept rubbing off sweat from his forehead as it kept trying to enter his eyes. With his back against the wall, he hid himself under the shade provided by the edge of the roof. 

Kilo licked his lips while rubbing his hands in anticipation. He was not afraid of showing greediness in front of Bakudi. Why would he? The politician gained his money through ripping off the slum dwellers. 

"Babo," Kilo called his friend. "Chagua amount that will make us not be polisi again."

"Hmm." Babo dove into his thoughts. "Let me see..." He stared at Bakudi, then smiled and said, "Ten million."

"Te..." Bakudi couldn't even finish the sentence, before he choked on his own saliva. His owl-like eyes grew wide, surprised. "Are-Are you insane!"

Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap!

The noise made the three men turn around. Romeo had crouched on the rooftop of the chicken house opposite Bakudi's home. A scarf covered his face, leaving only his eyes visible. He also had on a black vest, camouflage pants and black boots.

His brown oily skin glowed under the bright sun.

For the past three months he had been terrorizing Bakudi. And finally, the politician had had enough with him and called Babo and Kilo, playing right into Romeo's plan.

He gazed at Bakudi and said, "You and I know you don't have that much." He dropped to the ground with a thud. "Nilikuwa nimepanga to be quiet, but when the idiot," he pointed at Babo, "asked for ten million, I had to do something."

Babo looked back at Bakudi. "Is he telling the truth? Don't you have that money?" There was a hint of disappointment in the officer's voice.

"No, he's lying. I have money. Kill him!" Bakudi pointed at Romeo, urgency in his voice. "Kill him now and I will give you the ten million."

Kilo took out his gun and pointed at Romeo, who raised his hands in the air. "Before you kill me, know that I have set multiple bombs around this house. If I die, they explode."

Kilo looked around nervously. "Li-Liar."

"You don't believe me?" He shrugged. "Fine, shoot me and see." The uneasiness in their movements made Romeo smile. The officers loved life so much they couldn't risk detonating a bomb. "Babo, we are both from the slums. So why don't we do the honorable thing and fight with our fists. I promise, if you beat me there won't be any explosions."