[Nine] Agendas

Ms. Aisha had her office repainted to light red after Father James' recent visit. She knew from the look of the priest's face, he judged her on how poorly the room appeared, and she hated it. She wanted to show her enemies she was up to the task, and little things like office colors were easy to deal with. The world had become so competitive over the years that even the small things mattered to everyone.

She sat behind her desk, her fingers tapping on the desk anxiously. Her phone rang and she knew what it was about. "Is she here?" she asked after picking up.

"Yes," her secretary answered.

"Send her up." She stood up and straightened her black skirt and white shirt. There was a knock on her door. "Come in."

The doorknob twisted and Mercy walked inside, before closing the door. Her face showed she was as surprised as any other person would be after finding out they had a meeting with the country's mayor, instead of being subjected to slavery like everyone else.

"Mercy, welcome," Aisha said with a smile before she embraced her in a hug. "Nice to finally meet you."

Mercy was left jaw-dropped and confused. She didn't know what the hell was going on. Why would the mayor hug her? To make it even surprising, it was a warm and friendly hug. "Ni-Nice to meet you too," she replied, not sure if it was the right thing to say. Aisha was intimidating when she watched her from the TV, her words and expressions showed she was not a woman who gave hugs constantly, so why would she act nice with her?

"Where are my manners." Aisha shook her head. "Please, have a seat." She pointed at the chair in front of her desk. 

Mercy nodded, then took a seat. "Can..." She cleared her throat. "Can I ask you a question, Madam Mayor?" She felt her insides burn, not knowing what would follow next.

Aisha smiled. "Sure. And call me Aisha."

Mercy gave a slight smile. "I just want to know, how do you even know about me? I'm sure there are other important people in Mega Dar."

Aisha nodded while maintaining her smile. "True, but you are the only doctor in the slums. I've heard good things about you, Mercy. How you chose not to pursue work in Mega Dar, and instead, you went back to the slums to treat the dwellers for a small fee. I admire that about you, that's why I didn't think it was right for you to be one of the slaves."

"Forgive me if I sound rude, but what are you getting at Madam... Aisha?"

Aisha chuckled. "Don't be afraid Mercy, get comfortable. We're all friends here." She leaned in her leather chair. "I want you to be my assistant."

"Me?" Mercy's eyes widened.

"Yes, you. You're a strong woman, you know that? Tanzanian slums were voted one of the worst in the world. The observers who came last month said it had the worst kind of people living there, and anyone who would deal with them on a daily basis was a strong individual--both mentally and physically. And since you were the only one who offered professional medical help, I know you held your own against the criminals there."

Not without the help of Romeo, Mercy thought. "Thank you." She smiled, but deep down she knew there was more to the story than being her new assistant. "Madam... Aisha, why do I feel like there is something you aren't telling me?"

"I knew you were smart, I can see it. You have that intelligent aura all over you. From the way you look to the way you speak. You remind me of a younger me, but I was more beautiful," she joked, making Mercy laugh awkwardly. "Let me cut to the chase. For the duration that I've been the Mayor, I've heard so much about the so called Vigilante in the slums."