[Twenty-Five] Fate

Nipp laid on his bed, many thoughts running through his head. Two days had passed and him, Gomez and Robert were the most wanted people in the world. The moment after leaving Morocco, Father James, King Abdul and Aisha uploaded the video of Nipp and the others showing their support for Romeo as he was beating up the priest. In it they blamed the three for the explosions that killed most of the mayors and guests in attendance, and everyone at Morocco International Football Stadium.

Romeo was accused of being the leader and also the masked rebel known as Vigilante. A date was not yet set for his execution, but once the countries that lost their mayors could appoint new ones, then they could decide. It was too important than to just kill him like he was a goat, King Abdul said every mayor had to agree.

Now Nipp and the others couldn't show their faces. Mary and Gideon were the ones who went out to get the things they needed while they remained in Gideon's secret base that used to be a mine factory.

Radiation in this place will kill me first before I'm captured, Nipp thought. He couldn't stop himself from worrying about Romeo as he stared at the mask. When he was shown on TV, Romeo looked unrecognizable with the lumps on his face from being beaten constantly. Mercy was nowhere to be seen, but Nipp knew she was there somewhere in the background watching.

There was a knock on his door. "Who is it?" he asked.

"It's Mary."

"Come in."

Mary looked different from when he first saw her. She cut all her hair and wore a large t-shirt and shorts. If he hadn't met her back at the camp, he would have thought she was a normal woman.

"What do you want?"

"I came to check if you were alright."

"Since when do you care?"

"I don't, but the others need you alive. Whether you like it or not, the five of us is all we got. Gideon and I have been trying to recruit others, but it's a long process to convince people that Romeo is innocent."

Nipp rubbed his eyes. "People are too afraid to go against those at the top, not after the explosion. The economy was rocked massively, people lost their jobs, and inflation happened. Most don't even care about the accusations, they are just angry the effect the bombing had on their lives."

"But we are the ones responsible for it."

"You think I don't know that?" Nipp was sitting at the edge of his bed now. "All those faces of the dead they show on the news haunt my dreams." His hands were shaking. "I killed all of them."

"We killed them. The four of us. Don't put all the blame on yourself."  

I forgot about Gina. How could I? 

"I miss her too," Mary said.

"You barely knew her."

"Same could be said about you. But we are all allowed to miss her, no matter how long we knew her."

"Maybe you're right." He got up and wore the t-shirt that was hung on a nail on the wall. "Is the food ready?"

"Almost."

There was another knock on the door. "I'm very famous today," Nipp said. "Who is it?"

Gomez entered. "You have to see this."

The three of them rushed to the living room. There were three couches - one at the center, and the other two on its side, each - and a TV that hung from the ceiling. There was one large window facing the TV, and the entrance was also the exit which led to their personal rooms and kitchen.  

"Look at this." Gomez grabbed the remote and increased the volume.

The news reporter spoke, "After five hours of debating, the UN has come to an agreement. The deaths of the two presidential candidate made them realize they can't have another voting process after the length it took the last one. Therefore, they have appointed Ms. Aisha, mayor of Tanzania, as the new president of the world. This is a big-"

The TV was turned off by Gideon. "That's all we needed to know," he said, taking a seat on the middle couch. "After what you told me, Father James would use Aisha to pass whatever law he sees fit. I never thought I would see the day she would bow down to him. This is a sad day for humans. With slavery still in full force, and now this? The rise of Nomads is once again upon us."

"We need to act fast and get more people on our side," Mary said. "I will be damned if I let myself be the a cyborg's pet. I would rather die fighting them than be enslaved again."

"What would you suggest we do?" Robert asked.

"I don't know," Mary replied.

"Nipp, any ideas?" Gideon said and everyone looked to Nipp.

Nipp was staring at Romeo's mask when he said, "First we rescue Romeo, then we save the world."

THE END.