[Fifteen] Girl Power

There wasn't one greno when the elevator's door opened. Two stood before them. With quick speed, Gina dashed at one of them and ducked down, avoiding its sharp-nailed strike. She rolled forward and stood back up. 

"Hey," she called, pointing her pistol at the thing. It turned, releasing a lion-like roar. She shot it in the mouth until she ran out of bullets. The other greno, seeing its fellow taken down, ran to attack Gina before she could reload. "Nipp, shoot it!" She avoided the creatures attack.

Nipp was too shocked from seeing how good of a fighter Gina was. He assumed she couldn't even handle a gun, let alone whoop the ass of grenos like it's nothing. 

Who is she, really? "I'm trying, but this stupid gun won't shoot," he said, nervously. He pulled the trigger multiple times, but nothing happened.

"Did you load it before?" Gina asked, walking backwards, her eyes focused on the blue and hairy monster. Saliva dripped from its mouth while its tongue slid over its bottom lip. Gina swallowed her saliva. "Nipp!" The look on her face showed she was realizing she might not make it out alive.

"Of course." Nipp hit his head with his palm. He took out a loaded chamber from his backpack and reloaded the gun. Aiming steadily, he shot the thing until it fell dead. "Well that was easy."

Green blood covered Gina's clothes and face. "I could have died."

"But you didn't." Nipp smiled.

"But I could."

"But you didn't." He offered a hand. She took it. He pulled her to her feet. 

They began their journey after that bleep on the way. It didn't take long before she saw a sign. "Welcome To Merzouga," it said. 

"This is one of the fallen cities Michael was talking about," Gina said, looking around. 

There was a lot of rubble and vacant buildings barely standing with crooked walls covered in vines. The artificial light passing through the holes showcased how bad the war did to the city. The smell of rotten flesh still roamed in the air. It was heavy, even after all this time. Human skeletons accompanied the smell, laying either next to a rock or at the side of the buildings.

Nipp was fascinated, staring in awe. He was born long after the war, and he had promised himself to visit one of the once-beautiful cities turned to dust. Except he never thought it would be this way, under these circumstances.

He opened the door of one of the broken down cars and a skeleton head fell out. He searched for anything useful, but came up short. Those who were here before us must have found whatever was in here.

"Hello, anyone there?" Nipp tapped his watch as he spoke.

"Yes, Tatiana here. What's the problem?"

"Where exactly are we supposed to go?" Nipp looked around again, seeing the many paths.

"There's a map in the backpack," Tatiana said.

"There's no map. And before you ask, yes, I checked."

"Give Gina the backpack," she said.

"Fine, but she won't find anything." He took off his backpack and handed it to Gina.

In less than a minute, Gina found it. "Here it is." She took it out before handing Nipp his backpack.

Nipp frowned.

"Gina, you're in charge now," Tatiana said.

"Finally." Gina smiled.

"Listen to me, go and remove the city's welcoming sign. You'll find something useful buried underneath. When you're done, use the map and head North from where the sign is facing."