[Ten] Conspiracy

Romeo sat at the corner of the cell. He preferred being alone as he thought of ways he could escape. So far, he had nothing. Every time he tried coming up with a plan, his cellmates would distract him by either quarreling--it led nowhere as the slaves were mixed up from different countries, thus making most not to understand each other--or fighting, which made the guards electrocute everyone, even those not involved.

"America is the best country."

"Nah mate, England is." 

He heard two old men arguing. They had been at it for what seemed like an hour, each presenting a case for why their country was better. Their debate even made some of the guards and prisoners from the opposite cells to get involved. 

"Bob, I'm tellin' you, no country can top England. We won the last world war," the English man said. He was short and fat. Wrinkles covered his face and yellow teeth highlighted his mouth. 

The American laughed. "Harry, your country won the war because of Americas help. Otherwise, the Israelis would have blown you and the Germans into space." Bob was of average height. He had an oval face and sagging skin.

"You are just faking it, Bob. The only reason we needed help from America was because of the Russians. Those bloody bastards tried to sneak up on us and take over our land. Our land!" Harry shook his head. "Damn, fools."

"What did you say?" a giant of a man with creamy, but rough and scarred skin stood up from the other corner of the room. He had a snake tattoo on both arms. He towered over the two old men as he got close to them. His wolfish face looked at Harry. "Never disrespect Russia." He had a deep scar on his right cheek. "OK?"

Harry nodded, his face pale and consumed with fear--the same could be said about Bob. Not wanting to risk the chance of getting their faces disfigured, the two old men sat down quietly and remained mum.

Romeo looked at the Russian man and smiled. He had encountered men like him in the slums before. They only knew one language; fighting. He could tell the man was looking for one, but seeing the ones taking a piss out of his country were two old men, he probably thought it was best not to harm them as they were already weak. The guy needed someone he could teach a lesson to--one that was also intimidating that after he beats the crap out of the guy, the other slaves wouldn't even dare to look at him.

Maybe we shall meet in the tournament, Romeo thought. He was cocky, but always put up a good fight when presented with a chance.

Romeo saw a boy in his age range walk up to him and sit beside him. "Thank goodness I found someone my own age," the boy said. "I am Gomez." He gave out his hand.

"Romeo." He shook it.

"What are you doing hiding in the dark corner?" Gomez asked, touching the angle of the wall.

"Observing," Romeo replied.

"Observing what?" Gomez leaned on the wall.

"The people around here, and the guards. You should too, if you want to know how things work in this place."

"The thing I know is I'm staying the hell away from the Russian. I like my face. Even though it's ugly, I want it to remain intact."

Romeo looked at Gomez, then back at the Russian. "He's not that intimidating."

"Maybe not to you, but me," Gomez shivered at the thought of the big man, "I'm scared of him." He looked at Romeo, who had gotten quiet all of a sudden. "What are you thinking about? Friends and family you left behind?"

"I have no family."

"Friends, then?"

"Something like that." Romeo folded his arms on his chest. He shook off the thoughts weighing heavy on his mind. Talking to Nipp for short time he knew the kid made him appreciate how good it felt to talk to someone else with similar thoughts. "I'm just afraid the return of slavery will lead to another world war," he said.