[Four] Bandits

Four hours remained before Romeo went back to Bakudi and gave him a proper ass-whooping, unless the bald man did as told. He had lay on one of the slum house's rooftop, head craned forward as he waited for the clothes to arrive via one of Bakudi's company van. 

As he was waiting, he observed the crooked walls of the houses in front of him--some didn't even have walls--and couldn't help but feel sad. There was a time when Dar Es Salaam was considered one of the most beautiful cities in the world (back when it wasn't divided into The Slums and Mega Dar). 

There used to be tarmac roads everywhere, shops, malls, gyms and even movie theaters. But things changed once the third world war came in like an angry dragon and destroyed everything--at least that's what he was told. He wasn't alive back then, nor anytime near the fourth war.   

The wind blew the dirt road with sheer force, thrusting a tornado of dust towards anyone close. It was a good thing he had a mask on (he bought it in exchange for his scarf). It was full black with Victorian-like goggles for eyes.

"Sometimes I hate mother nature," Nipp said.

Romeo glanced at him and saw the boy using his arm as a shield against the dust. "What I do is dangerous, kid. You shouldn't be here."

"Danger equals fun, and I want to kick some ass too."

Romeo didn't argue any further. If the boy wanted to get beaten up, he would let him. What better way would Nipp learn not to mess with his world without letting the kid taste a couple of punches and kicks?

"So who's your favorite comic book character?" Nipp asked.

"I hate comic books," Romeo replied.

Nipp gasped. "You're joking, right? You must be." He wished he could see Romeo's face, but the damn mask didn't allow him, so now he had to rely on the rebel's voice to see if he was kidding. "You can't tell me you hate Black Santa. No one hates Black Santa." He shook his head.

Romeo looked at him. "I don't know who Black Santa is, but since you like him, I now hate him."

Nipp gasped even louder. "Take it back, now. Black Santa is the best comic book character since Bubblegum Girl. You should read; Black Santa Saves Africa, Black Santa Saves Christmas, and my all time favorite, Black Santa Kissed A Boy And He Liked It."

"So Black Santa is gay?" Romeo questioned.

"Just because he kissed a boy doesn't mean he's gay," Nipp responded.

"Did he like it?" Romeo asked.

"Ndio," Nipp answered.

"Then he's gay."

"No, he's bisexual."

"Let me tell you the truth, the moment someone says they are bisexual, then they are one hundred percent gay--generally speaking. There is never an in-between."

Nipp remained silent.

Romeo patted Nipp's shoulder. "If you're bisexual it's fine, there's nothing wrong with that."

"That statement complicates what you said earlier."

"Shut up."

"I only like women though. Big breas--"

"OK, nice talk." Romeo looked away.   

Nipp stared at him. "Can I ask you a question?"

"You already did," Romeo replied.

"What's your name?"

"Juliette."

"Liar. Can I ask you another question?"